What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very nice Joachim! now...about that N. villosa, shading your other plants! Lets have a look at it as well!
smile.gif

Cheers!

question: does high light levels give the plant bigger pitchers?

i had before done an experiment a while ago with milk in pitchers, right now i am noticing all the plants i gave it to are geting huge leaves and TINY pitchers, sunday i left my little green house in the sun for a while, =/

my raff got sun burned and but inside was HOT and HUMID, i noticed that the new leave that was about to come out of the other leaf in my bical came out AND already started to grow ans another leaf, i can tell that it liked it VERY MUCH

if higher light levels increase pitcher size out they go once more, heh

Light levels are definitely one of the factors that determine pitcher size and even whether the plant pitchers or not. Perhaps light is the most important factor but probably not the only one.

In the wild it's common to find beautiful plants growing in the open on the margin of a forest (e.g. N. rafflesiana) whilst a few feet away in the heavy shade of the forest the same species can be found without any pitchers at all. However, it's species dependent. Alongside the pitcherless N. rafflesiana one might find a N. ampullaria with huge pitchers the size of your fist.

Hi,

many thanks for your kind comments!

@ schloaty: The pitcher coloured up prior to opening and didn't change its colour at all after it had opened. The previous one had the same colour as yours, so I believe it is just a matter of age and of course appropriate light levels to get good coloured pitchers.

@ Dustin: The N. villosa isn't too impressive at a diameter of 12 cm and pitchers being 2.5 cm in height. Tony's 'big' N. villosa for sure is more impressive than mine!

Cheers Joachim

Hey thats good Joachim! Mine is about the same size as your is also...think mine is around 10 cm in diameter or so...have to measure it. This species isn't as bad as it is reputed to be so.

Back