Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: N. ephippiata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

summer has passed and light levels are decreasing by every day here in northern hemisphere. My N. ephippiata got full sun for about 7 hours every day during summer. Although nearly all leafes which can be seen on the picture were grown under these conditions, they were severely burned.

Although pitchers look OK:

So in contrast to some believe not all nepenthes are able to adjust to very bright light levels. I.e. N. lavicola, N. macrophylla, N. singalana and some others grow very well under the same light levels.

Cheers Joachim

P.S.: I hope Rob won't kill me, when seeing what I'm doing with his plants...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joachim,

Not very pretty! However, burning does occur in nature too. The pitchers look fine. When the plant is more mature it should produce pitchers with a bit more coloration to them.

I am wondering how come you have a plant from me since I've hardly ever shipped to Europe? Unless via Christian perhaps?
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've really torched some leaves on plants trying to adjust the sunlight levels. As long as you catch it, as you obviously have, it should be fine. "That which does not kill you makes you stronger." I'm not sure that is always true, but some leaf burn is not the worst thing in the world if it does not kill the whole leaf. Leaf burn also tells you where to cut the increase in light off. Experimentation is bound to lead to a few ugly, but hopefully not fatal, outcomes.

Notice how the stems of the leaves still function? Neps don't want to die any more than you want them to. Pitchers on burned leaves sometimes get gigantic and look 1000% better than the leaf they are on, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Oct. 27 2003,5:41)]Hi Joachim,

Not very pretty! However, burning does occur in nature too. The pitchers look fine. When the plant is more mature it should produce pitchers with a bit more coloration to them.

I am wondering how come you have a plant from me since I've hardly ever shipped to Europe? Unless via Christian perhaps?
    Hi Rob,

well I've seen many pictures of plants in habit so I wasn't afraid of loosing it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] The close relative N. lowii quite easily copes with these light levels but grows very slow for your standards.

The picture was taken while swapping positions with a very nice N. argentii which initially was in a darker position. Many thanks for this one!!! Judging from pictures in habit of N argentii I expect it to grow well in full sun (through the winowsill).

From time to time one of my plants outgrows my terrarium and I have to give them away. Growers with Nepenthes greenhouses interested in big plants are few here and so some of my rarer plants ended in Christian's greenhouse. The N. faizaliana/fusca I already showed in another thread and this N. ephippiata were part of one of these trades. Ah and also the N. fusca grows and pitchers quite well in full sun. Leafes haven't reduced in size and are about as stiff as those it originally had, when I got it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my neps have been so severly burned that the leaves look almost like brown paper. They quickly recovered, though.
    Paradise found is paradise lost
    -The Future Of Life
    The world is just big enough for us to not realize how small it really is.

Change is the only thing constant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim,

Torched by the sun? That guy looks great! I've had some where the leaves turn light tan! The green is completely gone. Has happened on rare occasions adapting an indoor Nep to outdoor conditions without some sun protection. They always bounce back and adjust. No worries. If Rob only knew what I was doing with HIS plants outdoors that I've bought from Tony and Dean. Yikes!

Take care,
    Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joel,

What, you're abusing my babies?! I'll have them back please!
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously, how are they adapting to the great outdoors?
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rob,
    I've found that your plants are among the best to adapt to any condition! I think the key is that the plants have been somewhat hardened off in a greenhouse environment. I've taken some of Wistuba's stuff, less than a 1/2 inch across, like N. dubia, and potted it up in moss and outdoors it went. It's been 2 weeks at least with no problems. Even during our "So. Calif." dry, 20% humidity firestorm weather. The neps can take full sun provided the temps don't get above 80ish or so for days at a time. Some of my hanging neps get full sun regardless of the weather. Those are bigger adapted Neps to outdoor conditions. I usually drop the shadecloth over my smaller Neps when the sun is strong and temps get over 80 F. Other than that I roll up the shade cloth so they can benefit from the sun. I water about every other day to keep the long fiber sphagnum moist. To be honest, it's really no problem. The plants love the outdoors and can adapt quite nicely. The Neps with the papery leaves like N. mirabilis echinostoma and N. hirsuta are more challenging. They don't have the "waxy" leaf coat to protect them as much as other Neps. But I'm growin one indoors and one outdoors with success. I think you'll see more hobbyists growing these plants outside of terrariums etc. over time.

Keep producing great plants so I can abuse outdoors! I'm waiting for N. talangensis and dubia too!

Take care and good growin'
    Joel

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast