Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Careful with Ebay!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,
    I can not comment on Canadas observations of CITES or their Phytosantiary requirements having never dealt with their laws. However, CITES is an international treaty observed by almost every nation on earth, there isn't room for variation from nation to nation. What is stated in the treaty is what goes. ANY plant material identified or identifiable as an endangered species on either list (App. 1 or App. 2) must be accompanied by CITES paperwork to legally cross international borders.
    It doesn't matter if the material being transported is TC, dried pressed herbarium specimens or cuttings from mature living plants. The numbers of species that are legally traded internationally is logged into a record book somewhere and is used in conservation reports during international environmental and conservation symposiums.

You can try importing an endangered species through international borders without proper documentation but it is your own risk. I'm sure smugglers probably get away with it all the time using ingenius methods. I'm just informing people of the consequences that come with getting caught smuggling endangered species through international borders. Is a $2500 fine worth it for 15 Nepenthes rafflesiana seeds? As I said, they don't care if you've illegally imported once or one hundred times, the fact is you did.

As far as seeds themselves go, it may be only a portion of the homeland security laws setup after 9/11 for the USA, it may not apply to Canada.

Phytosantiary restrictions (such as for those poor folks in Australia) is completely different than CITES. As an example it is technically illegal for me to mail Neps (or any other plants) to CA, AZ, HI and I think OR wihout proper phytosantiary paperwork. And this is inside the US borders.

If you are interested in researching the floral CITES laws further, the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew has released several books on CITES (since they helped create the CITES regulations as it pertains to flora). The latest A CITES guide to Carnivorous Plants has just been released a few months ago. These books are pricey however and not very exciting reading!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait a minute. in Toms link, it doesn't say that if i order something from, lets say, the US, that i need an import permit. is that true?
    "To import in Canada :
    Specimens to be imported into Canada must be accompanied by: a CITES export permit issued by the exporting country."
    doesn't say i need an import permit, only the exporter has to have one. if this is true, it could open up new opertunities [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img] Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $2500,and it wasn`t your fault?!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Josh for your words of support. Unfortunately, Malesiana tropicals has decided to suspend plant export to Australia because of the strict quarantine laws!!. So I am thinking to use Borneo Exotics instead.

Exotica plants had a wide range of hybrids, i would say amongst the best in the world, but due to a drought, now they are left with few plants. However, these are still precious. Let's hope they recover soon.

So as you can see, it is not as easy as one thinks, but i am not giving up yet.

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if e-bay is held responsible for the seeds? I am sure there are many people that do not know about sending seeds to other countries. How can e-bay let this happen? Is E-Bay to big to do anything about it now? The other thing is you would think you would hear something on the news about this, right? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

Travis
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Here is a bit from Ebay:

Plants and Seeds

Some federal, state, and local laws prohibit the sale of certain types of plants or seeds that are considered "exotic" or "noxious" weeds. The United States Department of Agriculture prohibits the importation and interstate movement of federally defined noxious weeds and seeds. Besides reviewing the list of prohibited noxious weeds and seeds, buyers and sellers of plants or seeds should also review the state-by-state list of regulated noxious weeds, and consult with state and local authorities to determine whether the items they are considering buying or selling are legal in their state.

Many state laws limit the time period after packaging or germination testing within which agricultural or vegetable seeds may be sold. If listed on the packaging of the seeds, sellers should include in their item description the dates of packaging and germination testing. Buyers and sellers of packaged seeds should consult with state and local authorities to determine whether the items they are considering buying or selling are lawful for distribution in their states.
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately it appears Ebays policy (as Nick showed us) doesn't make any mention of CITES which is a far different situation than phytosantiary or noxious weed laws.

Yes, that's right Zongi, the SENDER must include CITES and Phytosantiary permits in the box when they mail the plants, seeds, etc.
    In the case I am discussing, the sender has told me that he will NOT be supplying these documents-which is illegal according to CITES. You (on the recieving end) likely need to have an IMPORT permit to recieve any plant or animal material accompanied by a CITES certificate or the shiment will not reach you. An importation permit (the recievers responsibility) is different than the above two permits. An import permit is also different than an export permit which allows you to ship outside Canada-and maybe your own province-I don't know anything about Canadas laws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for all the canadians out there, i have recieved a email after i asked about import permits:
    A CITES Appendix II listing means that specimen(s) to be exported must be accompanied by a CITES permit from the country of export. No CITES documents are required from the importing country. Your exporter/supplier must apply to the Malaysian CITES Management Authority for a CITES export permit. They can be reached at:

Director General
    Department of Wildlife and National Parks
    (Headquarters)
    Km. 10, Jalan Cheras
    56100 KUALA LUMPUR

Tel: +60 (3) 90 75 31 34 (Dir. Gen.)
    +60 (3) 90 75 28 72/5/6/8/9/80/1/2/4
    Cable: CHIEFWARD KUALA LUMPUR
    Fax: +60 (3) 90 75 28 73
    Email: pakp@wildlife.gov.my
    musa@wildlife.gov.my
    Web: http://www.wildlife.gov.my

In Canada, you should contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Import Service Centre, for information regarding other possible permit requirements under the Health of Plants Regulations. Their central office can be reached at 1-800-835-4486.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

so i guess we don't need as much permits is it think we need [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] . Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast