What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Careful with Ebay!

I wonder if e-bay is held responsible for the seeds? I am sure there are many people that do not know about sending seeds to other countries. How can e-bay let this happen? Is E-Bay to big to do anything about it now? The other thing is you would think you would hear something on the news about this, right?
rock.gif

Travis

Here is a bit from Ebay:

Plants and Seeds

Some federal, state, and local laws prohibit the sale of certain types of plants or seeds that are considered "exotic" or "noxious" weeds. The United States Department of Agriculture prohibits the importation and interstate movement of federally defined noxious weeds and seeds. Besides reviewing the list of prohibited noxious weeds and seeds, buyers and sellers of plants or seeds should also review the state-by-state list of regulated noxious weeds, and consult with state and local authorities to determine whether the items they are considering buying or selling are legal in their state.

Many state laws limit the time period after packaging or germination testing within which agricultural or vegetable seeds may be sold. If listed on the packaging of the seeds, sellers should include in their item description the dates of packaging and germination testing. Buyers and sellers of packaged seeds should consult with state and local authorities to determine whether the items they are considering buying or selling are lawful for distribution in their states.

Unfortunately it appears Ebays policy (as Nick showed us) doesn't make any mention of CITES which is a far different situation than phytosantiary or noxious weed laws.

Yes, that's right Zongi, the SENDER must include CITES and Phytosantiary permits in the box when they mail the plants, seeds, etc.
In the case I am discussing, the sender has told me that he will NOT be supplying these documents-which is illegal according to CITES. You (on the recieving end) likely need to have an IMPORT permit to recieve any plant or animal material accompanied by a CITES certificate or the shiment will not reach you. An importation permit (the recievers responsibility) is different than the above two permits. An import permit is also different than an export permit which allows you to ship outside Canada-and maybe your own province-I don't know anything about Canadas laws.

for all the canadians out there, i have recieved a email after i asked about import permits:
A CITES Appendix II listing means that specimen(s) to be exported must be accompanied by a CITES permit from the country of export. No CITES documents are required from the importing country. Your exporter/supplier must apply to the Malaysian CITES Management Authority for a CITES export permit. They can be reached at:

Director General
Department of Wildlife and National Parks
(Headquarters)
Km. 10, Jalan Cheras
56100 KUALA LUMPUR

Tel: +60 (3) 90 75 31 34 (Dir. Gen.)
+60 (3) 90 75 28 72/5/6/8/9/80/1/2/4
Cable: CHIEFWARD KUALA LUMPUR
Fax: +60 (3) 90 75 28 73
Email: pakp@wildlife.gov.my
musa@wildlife.gov.my
Web: http://www.wildlife.gov.my

In Canada, you should contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Import Service Centre, for information regarding other possible permit requirements under the Health of Plants Regulations. Their central office can be reached at 1-800-835-4486.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

so i guess we don't need as much permits is it think we need
wow.gif
. Zongyi

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 28 2003,10:43)]$2500,and it wasn`t your fault?!
I guess it depends on your point of view. I did not think it was my fault since I had paperwork(the guy sent the stuff before I mailed him the paperwork). I wired money and the USDA mailed me my permit, but forgot the import stickers, so I had to call them and get them mailed. Even though my permit is clearly dated before the infraction, they saw it as my fault since my order resulted in a illegal transaction. They found a insect in the order, so the plants were incinerated. These were adult plants, and I now wonder if they were really nursery grown as advertised.

Regards,

Joe

The last time I was in Kuching, Borneo (Malaysia), they were selling small pitcher plants in vacuum sealed containers for about US$20 in the souvenir shops by the waterfront. The pitcher plants did come with some sort of paperwork, but I don't think it was a real phytosanitary permit. Anyway, when I produced it to show to the customs people at Newark, they laughed at the paperwork and pocketed it. I'm glad now that nothing worse happened.

Josh

As you say CITES requirements do not vary between country and, in fact, seeds of Nepenthes are exempt of CITES.
This is directly from the CITES Appendix and applies to all Nepenthes species apart from rajah and khasiana:

Designates all parts and derivatives, except:
a) seeds, spores and pollen (including pollinia);
b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers; and
c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants.

You don't need CITES for seed or plants in vitro.
Phytosanitary certificates are a local gov regualtion and will vary between locations.

Cheers, Troy.

Back