Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horticultural Charcoal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro,

Boy Howdee, that sounds great! Go ahead and e-mail or PM me!
    There is a company in that area that sells a clay-like product called Isolite. Actually I think it's fired diatomous earth or something like that. It hisses when you water it, as it soaks up water.

Joe [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/ghostface.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get our media from a large orchid supply house in Kendall, Florida. I guess we're fortunate to have such a firm nearby, thanks to the large horticulture industry and orchid growers here in south Florida.
    I've often heard pulverized granite makes a good additive to Nep mixes, but can't get the stuff down here to even try it out!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

Following this thread a bit more, if you look at borneo exotics website on nepenthes mixes, it is claimed that if you use perlite in the mix, when it gets too old, it breaks down and release fluoride which is harmful to your neps.

If i am not mistaken, Rob grows his plants in charcoal and coconut fiber. His plants look great!!!

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gus,

Yeah, I have heard that a lot. Our tap water here is high in flouride, which is great for teeth, but not for plants. I would think the flouride has to come from somewhere to get in there.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12