What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bicalcarata

My bical came today... its about 3 inches and has a few leaves. There is a developing pitcher. I've chosen to not let it live in my terrarium, but in a plastic bag for more heat and water.
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

does it have air circulation

it needs air in order to survie try opening it a bit AT THE BOTTOM
because if at the top it would let out to much moisture and heat

Um, air circulation is not an issue in a plastic bag with an extreme lowlander in it. As long as you periodically check the plant to ensure there is no presentation of fungus sprouting then you will be fine. I had my N. truncata in a large clear garbage bag for the winter (the greenhouse wasn't safe for it!) and it did fine as long as I kept the bag "inflated" which I did after I opened and looked at it, simply blow the bag up, this adds moisture and Co2 to the 'micro greenhouse' bag. The only problem you may find is if the new pitchers are touching the sides of the bag where condensation may occue they will rot or be malformed from the excessive water deposited upon them. Also the temperature difference from the bag surface (inside outside bag temperature difference) may present pitcher problems but this is highly unlikely. Good luck!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Oct. 30 2003,7:51)]Um, air circulation is not an issue in a plastic bag with an extreme lowlander in it. As long as you periodically check the plant to ensure there is no presentation of fungus sprouting then you will be fine. I had my N. truncata in a large clear garbage bag for the winter (the greenhouse wasn't safe for it!) and it did fine as long as I kept the bag "inflated" which I did after I opened and looked at it, simply blow the bag up, this adds moisture and Co2 to the 'micro greenhouse' bag. The only problem you may find is if the new pitchers are touching the sides of the bag where condensation may occue they will rot or be malformed from the excessive water deposited upon them. Also the temperature difference from the bag surface (inside outside bag temperature difference) may present pitcher problems but this is highly unlikely. Good luck!
Was the garbage bag black or cream colored? I don't see how it would get enough light in the winter in a black or cream colored bag... was it clear? Sorry if I'm pestering you but I'm curious
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Does anyone with experience growing bicals with sunlight only have any tips? The spectrum may not be good for neps in my lights so I'm growing it with sunlight. (how long in a day should it recieve light)

Back