What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pic of my tobaica that doesnt pitcher

mad.gif
maybe it'll make some pitchers sometime soon here

I fixed your link for you. Your plant looks nice, but please consider posting JPG files so that people on dialup can view it (without having to wait minutes).

Hi

First at all did you buy your plant in an Garden Centre or DIY - Store ? Your tobaica looks (as far as I can see on the photo) like my tobaica which is actually a Nepenthes ventricosa x khasiana. I belive it's a dutch cultivar which is shipped mis-labeled all over the world.

A real n.tobaica is a highland plant which means that you have to give it cool nights, lots of light etc.
Otherwise if it is the dutch cultivar it's a lot more easy to handle. I had mine for some time in a terrarium with frequent misting. It got one pitcher after another. In summer I placed it in the garden and now it stands in our wintergarden. The plant lost in summer through the heat & light few pitchers, but now it starts again pitchering.
So I guess if you have a warm (preferably humid) place with good light it will start pitchering again after a while. If you have no humid place mist it once or twice per day and chances are good that it will also grow pitchers again.
Most plants won't pitcher if the humidity is to low.

Nico

I have seen these in the local nurseries and i have one at home as well. I thought it was a ventrata, but when i saw some of these at one place and saw them albled "tobaica", I nearly fell over. The leaves are not even close. I did not know it was a ventricosa x khasiana, so that is nice to find out.

Thanks,

Joe

I got it in salt lake city from a huge greenhouse that had cps called "Cactus and Tropicals" (and I can't really talk more about that because I may get worked over by a mod, I got in trouble once for talking about this) It was labeled NEPENTHES TOBALCA. Now, I finally found out that it is supposed to be nepenthes tobaica. It is in lowland care, however, I thought nep. tobaica was intermediate? So, if it is a Netherlands hybrid, then it should be pitchering. Its in a terrarium, humidity should be ok. Its growing, Its probably not in shock. It is also producing a nice clump of basal shoots, which ALSO don't have pitchers.

I have my doubts if its ventricosa x khasiana. That hybrid was made here in south Florida years ago by Ron Pratt who named it N. emmarene. Emmarene does not look like the dutch hybrid. I will agree that ventricosa was a parent, but the dutch folks tend to give their hybrids the names of the female(seed bearing) plant. Most likely its a hybrid of tobaica x ventricosa, but maybe not. By the way, N. tobaica grows fine for us here in the lowlands, surviving our three months of nightly lows of about 82 F.
Trent

I would say it's a hybrid. The leaves and growth pattern don't look right for N. tobiaca. There was a plant on the CPUK forum that was labelled N. tobiaca which looked like a hybrid with N. khasiana. Hard to say exactly on this plant. Could be this same mass produced hybrid from Europe or it could be with N. ventricosa.

I agree temperature should not be a major issue regardless of what it is. In a terrarium as mentioned it is most likely not humidity. My only other guess is the light is not bright enough. What I would consider the second most common cause behind nonpitchering Nepenthes.

Tony

It is getting 37 watts of flourescent light. There is a 23 watt lamp and a 14 watt lamp. The 14 watt lamp is equivelant to 60 regular watts. The plant is about half a foot from one of the lights.

We've got this (if it's the one from the European supplier)plant at our place, and I've noticed they tend to produce traps in bunches. It won't pitcher for a while, then suddenly it goes into pitcher mode, making new traps on several leaves simultaneously. We've had ventricosa do this too.

Trent

Hi all:

I have a theory regarding plants such sibuyanensis, ventricosa, argentii or any other plant that comes from the philippines. If the plant is labelled a lowland or highland, well, don't take the description so serious. My ventricosa loves warm weather and it gives the best pitchers in warm weather.
Furthermore, truncata lowland ( also from the philippines) can tolerate cold nights as long as the temperature does not go below 40 F. This is very unusual because the true lowlands such as rafflesiana or ampullaria or bicalcarata will dry up completely in these temperatures. Furthermore, i would not be surprised if truncata highland can tolerate warm weather as well.
So far all the highlands and lowlands from the philippines like intermediate to conditions. Please correct me if there is one that is strictly a highland or lowland and come from the philippines.

The reason why i am mentioning this is because, Tobaica even though not from the philippines, but from lake toba is usually mislabelled as a highland when it behaves more like a intermediate-lowland to me. it has not pitchered yet since early this year, so i hope that by summer, it would start to pitcher. (i am growing 80% of my stock outdoors) Thanks

Gus

I found mine in a supermarket, of all places, labled $5.99 house plant. There were no pitchers at the time and I had it ina sunny window tank and it took off. I had to take it home from work, because some health nuts heard it was carnivorous and did not want bugs running around loose in the office.

Regards,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]because some health nuts heard it was carnivorous and did not want bugs running around loose in the office.

Huh? They figured there'd be bugs because it was carnivorous? Isn't that kinda reverse logic? You'de think there would be FEWER bugs... Some people....

WELL, using the bag on leaf trick by Cindy (I think i used it on this leaf), the plant now has what should turn into a pitcher with good conditions!!! (little green mini pitcher thing) YAAY! so it just needed the humidity, good thing too, now I can mist it with the ultrasonic humidifier..
tounge.gif
By the way, at least a good start: the basal shoots pitchered some, though possibly not all.
smile.gif

Back