Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pic of my tobaica that doesnt pitcher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] maybe it'll make some pitchers sometime soon here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fixed your link for you. Your plant looks nice, but please consider posting JPG files so that people on dialup can view it (without having to wait minutes).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not good with computers, sorry.

nick_99
    Hi

First at all did you buy your plant in an Garden Centre or DIY - Store ? Your tobaica looks (as far as I can see on the photo) like my tobaica which is actually a Nepenthes ventricosa x khasiana. I belive it's a dutch cultivar which is shipped mis-labeled all over the world.

A real n.tobaica is a highland plant which means that you have to give it cool nights, lots of light etc.
    Otherwise if it is the dutch cultivar it's a lot more easy to handle. I had mine for some time in a terrarium with frequent misting. It got one pitcher after another. In summer I placed it in the garden and now it stands in our wintergarden. The plant lost in summer through the heat & light few pitchers, but now it starts again pitchering.
    So I guess if you have a warm (preferably humid) place with good light it will start pitchering again after a while. If you have no humid place mist it once or twice per day and chances are good that it will also grow pitchers again.
    Most plants won't pitcher if the humidity is to low.

Nico

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen these in the local nurseries and i have one at home as well. I thought it was a ventrata, but when i saw some of these at one place and saw them albled "tobaica", I nearly fell over. The leaves are not even close. I did not know it was a ventricosa x khasiana, so that is nice to find out.

Thanks,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it in salt lake city from a huge greenhouse that had cps called "Cactus and Tropicals" (and I can't really talk more about that because I may get worked over by a mod, I got in trouble once for talking about this) It was labeled NEPENTHES TOBALCA. Now, I finally found out that it is supposed to be nepenthes tobaica. It is in lowland care, however, I thought nep. tobaica was intermediate? So, if it is a Netherlands hybrid, then it should be pitchering. Its in a terrarium, humidity should be ok. Its growing, Its probably not in shock. It is also producing a nice clump of basal shoots, which ALSO don't have pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my doubts if its ventricosa x khasiana. That hybrid was made here in south Florida years ago by Ron Pratt who named it N. emmarene. Emmarene does not look like the dutch hybrid. I will agree that ventricosa was a parent, but the dutch folks tend to give their hybrids the names of the female(seed bearing) plant. Most likely its a hybrid of tobaica x ventricosa, but maybe not. By the way, N. tobaica grows fine for us here in the lowlands, surviving our three months of nightly lows of about 82 F.
    Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it's a hybrid. The leaves and growth pattern don't look right for N. tobiaca. There was a plant on the CPUK forum that was labelled N. tobiaca which looked like a hybrid with N. khasiana. Hard to say exactly on this plant. Could be this same mass produced hybrid from Europe or it could be with N. ventricosa.

I agree temperature should not be a major issue regardless of what it is. In a terrarium as mentioned it is most likely not humidity. My only other guess is the light is not bright enough. What I would consider the second most common cause behind nonpitchering Nepenthes.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast