What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bical

My bical just put out its largest pitcher. But the peristome looks "thinner" than any before. the leaf is at least double the size of the others. It looks good other than the peristome. Any ideas?

If the light has decreased it might explain it. When there is a lack of light, Neps leaf size increases and pitcher size and maturity decreases.

SF

[b said:
Quote[/b] (machete @ Nov. 03 2003,6:47)]My bical just put out its largest pitcher.
The pitcher is much bigger than the others. Just the peristome is thinner. Also, dont know if this means anything, but all the pitchers are producing large amounts of clear sap around the peristome. so much that it drips down at some points.

Well, I do know that the sap is probably nectar. This is a good sign as it means the nep is healthy.

Maybe the pitcher is an intermediate/upper? Though the plant would have to be awfully big first.

SF

Has the pitcher had a chance to unfurl the peristome? Plants like bical and most noteable are N. veitchii for an example, it takes a few days to expand that marvelous peristome.

Actualy Grac, I've noticed that the peristome is always at its largest when the pitcher first opens, then gradualy shrinks as it folds back.

Well, my plant is mature also...Maybe it's age differences. Although my younger bical has thicker peristomes also...I think it might just be an abnormality.

Back