Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes "Gentle"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're asking what factors define a species? For every species there is a type specimen that is thoroughly scientifically described. Part of the description will include all of the factors you listed and more, including describing the inflorescence (flower stalk) and other anatomical details.
    Actually, pictures are a great way to learn the differences, especially when matched up to the descriptions. For example, lid structure is an important factor in seeing the difference between N. fusca and N. maxima. N. 'Gentle' has a fusca like lid, but not entirely.
    I'm not a taxonomist! Just a grower like you guys, except maybe been around the hood a little longer [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Just a grower
    Hehehehe! I've been to your green house, you're quite a skilled grower, and absolutely way above average!

Pictures are great, but it is much better and a more informative to see the plant in person and be able to examine it and watch it's growing patterns.

Does anybody know of a place on the web where these species are "thoroughly scientifically described"[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is a link to Danser's Monograph on Nepenthes. It doesn't describe N x Gentle since it's a hybrid but it should detail N. fusca and N. maxima. it gives measurements and descriptions along with the botanical latin description. not tons of images I'm afraid but good reading!

Index to Danser's Nepenthacae Monograph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danser's Monograph is a great reference. I use it all the time. Charles Clarke's books are an invalued reference too, bringing things up to date.
    But seeing the plants "in person" is the best way to develop an eye for identifying species and hybrids of any type of plant. If you visit Atlanta, then YOU MUST go to Atlanta Botanical Gardens to see their Nepenthes. Call ahead and make an appointment for a tour of the greenhouse the public normally doesn't see. If you go to LA, go to the Fullerton Arboretum.
    It's hard for us Florida folks to get to see highland species because they don't grow well here (unless you refrigerate their growing space at night for five months out of the year)!!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people do not have the Clarke books due to the price. If there was a cheap book (around $20-$30) which was good for IDing Nep species it would sell quite well I'm sure. Most people just won't get off a whole day or mores wages to buy a book on plants unless they're wacky like me![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link Swords, it's got alot of "technical terms", but I'm working on getting them down.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are expensive...but I'll recklessly spend the money again when he comes out with "The Nepenthes of the Phillippines, Sulawesi, Australia, New Guinea and ...hmmm, he's got a title problem with this one. How do you include Sri Lanka, Madagascar, Seychelle Islands, and southeastern mainland China all in one title? I don't think there's enough species to make two more books [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is Charles loathes the Philippines and as of 2000(when I actually met him and had him sign one of my books), he had no desire to go there to work on a book. Maybe if we all train to become mercenaries, we can coerce him into going, lol.

Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast