What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes "Gentle"

Does anyone out there know what this plant is? I'm assuming it is a hybrid but what are the parents? I just bought one cheaply and I suspect my N. maxima may be a N. Gentle. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Glenn
rock.gif

I'm pretty sure N. X Gentle is a hybrid of N. maxima x N. fusca. I say this as my "N. X Gentle" looks a whole lot like N. fusca (infact almost exactly). It doesn't seem to start climbing as quickly as N. fusca though.

I agree. N. Gentle (marketed in some areas as N. 'Cornbak') appears to have a wavy leaved form of maxima as mom and N. fusca as dad. Ours are in bloom right now. It is a male.

Trent

Trent,

Is N. "Cornelius Bak" the exact same plants as N. 'Gentle'?
The only person I know who has the former is Clyde Bramblett.

Regards,

Joe

It's the same.

Trent

OK, Here is another question. What are the key differences between a pure N. maxima and a N x gentle?

Thanks again for all the help.

Pure maxima would be the species as found growing in the wild. N. 'Gentle' is a horticultural hybrid. It is man-made. Anyone who is familiar with the described characteristics of N. maxima could look at N. 'Gentle' and see that it is not pure maxima. It appears that another species, N. fusca, is one of the parents of N. 'Gentle' . N. 'Gentle' carries characteristics of both N. maxima and N. fusca.

Trent

Trent,

Would you please clarify the differences for us who don't grow these species yet and can only look at pictures? Is there a difference in markings, pitcher and leaf shape, tendril length, hairs, distance between nodes, etc.?

SF

I think you're asking what factors define a species? For every species there is a type specimen that is thoroughly scientifically described. Part of the description will include all of the factors you listed and more, including describing the inflorescence (flower stalk) and other anatomical details.
Actually, pictures are a great way to learn the differences, especially when matched up to the descriptions. For example, lid structure is an important factor in seeing the difference between N. fusca and N. maxima. N. 'Gentle' has a fusca like lid, but not entirely.
I'm not a taxonomist! Just a grower like you guys, except maybe been around the hood a little longer
biggrin.gif

Trent

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just a grower

Hehehehe! I've been to your green house, you're quite a skilled grower, and absolutely way above average!

Pictures are great, but it is much better and a more informative to see the plant in person and be able to examine it and watch it's growing patterns.

Does anybody know of a place on the web where these species are "thoroughly scientifically described"
rock.gif

SF

here is a link to Danser's Monograph on Nepenthes. It doesn't describe N x Gentle since it's a hybrid but it should detail N. fusca and N. maxima. it gives measurements and descriptions along with the botanical latin description. not tons of images I'm afraid but good reading!

Index to Danser's Nepenthacae Monograph

Danser's Monograph is a great reference. I use it all the time. Charles Clarke's books are an invalued reference too, bringing things up to date.
But seeing the plants "in person" is the best way to develop an eye for identifying species and hybrids of any type of plant. If you visit Atlanta, then YOU MUST go to Atlanta Botanical Gardens to see their Nepenthes. Call ahead and make an appointment for a tour of the greenhouse the public normally doesn't see. If you go to LA, go to the Fullerton Arboretum.
It's hard for us Florida folks to get to see highland species because they don't grow well here (unless you refrigerate their growing space at night for five months out of the year)!!

Trent

Most people do not have the Clarke books due to the price. If there was a cheap book (around $20-$30) which was good for IDing Nep species it would sell quite well I'm sure. Most people just won't get off a whole day or mores wages to buy a book on plants unless they're wacky like me!
wink.gif

Thanks for the link Swords, it's got alot of "technical terms", but I'm working on getting them down.

SF

They are expensive...but I'll recklessly spend the money again when he comes out with "The Nepenthes of the Phillippines, Sulawesi, Australia, New Guinea and ...hmmm, he's got a title problem with this one. How do you include Sri Lanka, Madagascar, Seychelle Islands, and southeastern mainland China all in one title? I don't think there's enough species to make two more books
wink.gif

Trent

The problem is Charles loathes the Philippines and as of 2000(when I actually met him and had him sign one of my books), he had no desire to go there to work on a book. Maybe if we all train to become mercenaries, we can coerce him into going, lol.

Joe

Good News Guys, I think Rob Cantley of Borneo Exotics may be volunteering to write such a book. Afterall, there are about 10 species in the Phillippines and possiblities of another 10 in the Sulawesi.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I personally feel that a book about cultivation alone would be particularly useful. That would entail research by travelling to see and document techniques used by formost growers around the world. Now I'm getting old and grizzled, that's the one I may volunteer to write

Do check out the discussion on this thread
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1026

Look forward to the day.

Choong

I posted some pictures in the Identify the Plant forum if anyone wants to have a look.

I'm waiting for someone to publish a book describing all of the recognized Nep species with descriptions, etc. Danser's monograph is great but something with pictures would be nice!

Glenn, the book I have that describes the most number of species (but still not all) in detail is Flora Malesiana Vol 15 (Nepenthaceae) by Jebb & Cheek. Also, there is only 19 line illustrations, no color photos. But there are other intersting parts to this book, including describing evidence of prehistoric Nepenthes.

Prehistoric Nepenthes...very interesting. Is there any fossil evidence?

By the way, the book, if it's to be horticulturally complete, should also include man made hybrids, especially those long established in collections and botanical gardens around the world. I think far more "plant nuts" (and I include myself) will see Nepenthes in botanical gardens and at nurseries than in the wild.

Trent

Back