What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

where can i find a?

where can i find a ? Nepenthes villosa
smile.gif
to buy

Hi Electric Carnivores! WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!
biggrin.gif
First of all, I would like to ask if you are sure that you are ready for a Nepenthes villosa? These plants require VERY cold nights, in the low 40s to high thirties. Also, this is an expensive Nepenthes, not to mention it is definately not a beginner plant. If you would like some good first neps, here is a list:
LOWLAND:
Nepenthes gracilis
N. x coccinea

Highland/intermediate:
N. ventricosa
N. khasiana
N. alata
N. x ventrata

These are a few quick growing and forgiving neps, better suited for a beginner. If you are a really experienced grower, I apologize for this reply... I do know where if you are sure you are ready...
GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Im not a Beginer with carnivorous plants i have been Cultivating for 12 years
smile.gif

Nepenthes villosa is a difficult species. I am fortunate enough to be able to grow it on a table in my greenhouse! The key factors for growing it are correct temperature and humidity chiefly. It is very unforgiving if humidity plummets in a short amount of time or if nocturnal temperatures do not drop significantly. if you are desiring to grow it just because it is "the toughest" Nepenthes I suggest your re-think, you're not going to have a big "something to be very proud of" plant for at LEAST 5-7 years or longer depending upon your growing conditions. For example, to get an N. rajah to pitcher is quite easy, to get an N. rajah to flower is another thing. Same applies to villosa, to grow it is not impossible, to get it big is a long wait.  Just for reference what highland/ultrahighland Nepenthes do you currently grow or have had expierence with?

i live right on a Cost line of so cali you can see the beach from my back yard all my most of my plants do very well i grow heliamphora rite out side with my Nepethes i grow N. x coccinea N. x"lle de france N.Khasiana N.alata N.sanguinea N.Maxima N. Fusca N rajoh and Ventrata

Ah ok, so you're one of lucky growers so to speak in the US.
wink.gif

How does your N. rajah perform? That would be the most reliable indicator of your skill and growing environment.

alot of people ask me that i got the plant from The Fullerton Arboretum im friends with alot of people that run the green house and the plants seals i have been buying carnivores from there ever since i was 12 i got the plant last year in a wooden hanging basket i grow it under latest so the sun just shine's on it just a little so it work s out very well since Rajah can grow in drakness my plant hasnt flowerd yet

It forms well not as much pitchers as the other one's but there about 7 pitchers on the plant and they are 4-5 inch's tall the plant hang's in a wooden basket

That's quite interesting to have pitchers that large in the air. And soo many, N. rjah generally only have 3-5 active pitchers on the plant varying in condition of decaying, dead or good. What size in diameter is the plant? What soil is it in? Darkness? I don't think so, N. rajah appreaciates a very bright lighted position. The only Nepenthes that can tolerate a low light level that i am aware of is N. lowii in nature as a small rosetted plant.

really i have been told by peter D Amato that in the wild they grow in glumps for peat and only the pitcher's hang out and that they do grow in darkness in the wilded

Ok, so you're not a beginner, but I still think that there might ought to be a little more thought put into a Nepenthes villosa, because, although there is nothing wrong with the plants that you have, all are well more forgiving than N. villosa, rajah included. If you really feel that you are 100% positively, absolutely, for sure that you can not only keep alive, but grow to thrive a Nepenthes villosa, I do have a source. BUT, you must be sure there will always be someone there (at one point in the day) to take care of/ check on the plant, and it must have PERFECT temperature and humidity, and with the occasional SoCal humidity plummet, N. villosa could possibly retaliate for months. So, I am just helping save you the money if the plant isn't well suited, and saving the plant if the environment is ill-suited. I hope I am not looking mean and greedy, just trying to see if there may be a few other equally unique but easier Nepenthes that you should perhaps get lots of experiance with, first.
BEST WISHES!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Ciao,
Lithopsman

I doubt Peter D'amato would tell you that. There is no presence of peat on Mt. kinabalu. N. rajah grows in slightly depressed areas of ultramafic soils. It grows in full to partly sunny conditions on gentle slopes of hills. Pitchers may develope in shade but plants do not grow in "darkness". Nepenthes are generally a sun lover, the more the better in the right amount. Pitchers do NOT form in the air hanging out unless it is a rare climbing stem with upper pitchers. The plants are generally rosetted with large lower pitchers resting on the ground.

Okay well he did why would i be making that up i dont lie it a wast of my time

Hi ElectricCarnivores!
Are you sure that he didn't mean the Long Fiber Sphagnum that peat is harvested from? (the lower, dead/decayed version) Also, partial shade and darkness are two TOTALLY different things... On a slightly different note, I suggest you see my post in Jmenprkr's topic in General Discussions entitled:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]new ava
GOOD LUCK, Ciao!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Haunustly, I think you guys need to stop doubting him, and accusing him of lying. Just answer his question already (pm me on how to get N. villosa). Hmm, by the way, do you think you could possibly work a deal to get a rare plant like that for me
biggrin.gif
. I'd be more than happy to send the money.

Back