What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

where can i find a?

Hi all:

Dear Nep Gracillis:

Can you tell us, how much of a drop in temperature villosa needs to do well?? and how much heat it can withstand??

Thanks

Gus

In the interest of rounding out the opinions expressed regarding this topic, I'd like to offer a few pieces of advice. First, N. villosa is far more demanding in its requirements than almost any other species in the genus. Therefore, unless one is really willing to take somewhat drastic measures to grow it well, successful cultivation is remote indeed. Secondly, this species is very slow growing, and one can expect to wait two or more years to obtain a plant even five centimeters in diameter, assuming the plant is provided with ideal conditions.

Furthermore, success with species such as NN. khasiana, fusca or even rajah does in no way presage success with N. villosa. The latter really does need markedly colder conditions to thrive, and past the seedling stage, will not grow well if kept too warm.

Finally, the coast of Southern California is far too warm for this plant. I speak from experience, having lived there for several years. Please take my advice and select one of the many other beautiful and more easily cultivated species (unless, of course, you are really willing to give this species what it needs, and that means a refrigerated terrarium). You'll probably be much happier, and so will N. villosa.

Good growing!

Thank you Nathaniel i think its really sad how people dont have a life and juge crap oh stuff they dont even know what there talking about!

The Fullerton Aboretum has plant sales? Do they happen to have cp's besides sarrs and neps? I would like to know as I do not live to far away from that place. Do you happen to attend the LACPS meetings?
So I guess that you received the plants from Leo? He is definetly one of the best growers I have seen and his collection is very impressive.

Hey Cp2k yes! they do have Cp's for sell sometimes they have pin's and flytrap's thats were i got my red dragons at
smile.gif
call them and ask for pual or greg
smile.gif
and they will help u call frist tho
smile.gif

Here is the site for the LACPS: LACPS
You might want to consider joining if you haven't already. The helis in your icon looks like they are growing nicely. Too bad I live so far inland...

Electric Carnivores: Do you have a way to get us some photos of your plants? I would love to see a picture of your N. rajah growing outdoors.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CP2k @ Nov. 07 2003,2:31)]The helis in your icon looks like they are growing nicely.
The Heliamphora avatar is one of the selectable images from everyones control panel.
T

Just to further comment on this topic, many rare highland species can be grown outdoors in the many microclimates of CA. I too speak from experience, as I was succesfuly growing a N. lowii. But just dont take it from my word, our member (forget his name, but has this website http://www.venturalink.net/~maxxpaxx/nepenthesathome.htm ) and, in Leo Song's outdoor greenhouse he grows many rare nepenthes , as I'm sure Electric and LACPS members know (and I regret not being able to visit him during my time in CA ). So as you can see, it's not at all impossible, but depending on the specific region your in, sucsess with this species CAN be achieved. By the way, can you check into that buying rare plants from fullerton deal for me
biggrin.gif
?

I'm in Florida, so those highlanders are out of the question.
You definitely got my interest by stating that some Fullerton plants are available. I would love to get cuttings of some of Leo's Nepenthes hybrids and selected females he's used in hybridizing. I'm way over here in the east, so mostly lowland/intermediate stuff. You know, rafflesiana crosses, female N. intermedia, stuff like that.
If any of you guys could point me in the right direction as to how to go about it, please send me a personal message. Thanks.

Trent

Yes, Leo grows many nepenthes in his outdoors greenhouse, but he grows very few nepenthes outdoors without a greenhouse. Most of the neps outdoors are hardy species like N.ventricosa.
I remember that he gave away hundreds of neps cuttings at one of the LACPS meeting, so hopefully these plants will be more widespread in culture in the future. As far as I know, the Fullerton cps are not available for sale as Leo is donating the collection to the Huntington.
Maybe an occasional cp pops up in the CSUF's annual sale(?).

Tony,
I did not know that
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thank you Nathaniel i think its really sad how people dont have a life and juge crap oh stuff they dont even know what there talking about!

Assuming that the above quote was directed at me, I would simply like you to know that my remarks were intended to help you. This forum is about exchanging infomation, and criticizing others merely because they tell you something that you don't wish to hear is both childish and rude.

Finally, if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, please see my website. I've been growing N. villosa successfully for a long time, and the opinion I have offered you is based upon that experience.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just to further comment on this topic, many rare highland species can be grown outdoors in the many microclimates of CA. I too speak from experience, as I was succesfuly growing a N. lowii. But just dont take it from my word, our member (forget his name, but has this website http://www.venturalink.net/~maxxpaxx/nepenthesathome.htm ) and, in Leo Song's outdoor greenhouse he grows many rare nepenthes , as I'm sure Electric and LACPS members know (and I regret not being able to visit him during my time in CA ). So as you can see, it's not at all impossible, but depending on the specific region your in, sucsess with this species CAN be achieved. By the way, can you check into that buying rare plants from fullerton deal for me
biggrin.gif
?

Please reread my previous post. I never said that one cannot grow some species of Nepenthes on the Southern California coast. What I did say was that that area is too warm for the successful cultivation of N. villosa. N. lowii is far more tolerant of warm nights than N. villosa, BTW.

N. villosa that weed! I am sick of having to trim it back all the time. Threw my back out taking all those garbage bags of cuttings to the curve.

Sorry just thought this thread could use some humour.

Back