What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Judith Finn ?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has ever ordered the N. Judith Finn from this site. The reason being is because I just did yesterday, and was wondering if they're hard to take care of. All advice would be appreciative since this is my first Nepenthes.
Thanks

I have a couple N. x Judith Finns. In addition to being a good looking nep, it also has a reputation for being easy to grow and tolerant of a variety of conditions. My two seem to do great in pretty much intermediate conditions. Give it light, good water (distillled, rain, r/o), and no extreme temperatures and it should do fine. Congrats! You picked a good one.

Capslock

I ordered one from this site.  To be honest, it seemed a undercared for when it showed up, but they sent two to make up for it.
smile.gif
  My first pitchers just opened up.  Two on one plant and one on another.  They are about two inches and the peristome is just starting to turn red.  

I'm growing them in semi-lowland conditions and they seem to like it.  In fact the most recent pitcher was 50% larger than the last two, three inches.
biggrin.gif

It's a fairly easy Nep to grow.  As high humidity as you can get, fairly bright light, and you are ready to grow!  I have heard  that it can be grown both as a lowlander and as a highlander, so it's not very picky.

Congrats on the purchase!  You are well on your way to becoming a Nepenthaholic!

SF

Hi Peter,

I haven't bought a Judith Finn from this site but I have grown several. One is about 80-90 cm in diameter with 20 cm pitchers. The others I traded away at smaller sizes.
They are generally very easy to keep being a vigorous hybrid between N. spathulata x N. veitchii. Just don't keep it in lowland conditions as it likes a cooler night time temp (below 70*F). Mine was making deformed leaves in lowland conditions (Day: 85-95*F, Night 70-75*F) but moving to highland conditions (Day: 70-80*F, Night 50-60*F) cured it and the plant grew very quickly.

i'd say the same as snowy falcon but ervy since i recieved it it has'nt been doing too well considering it was from pft , i hope it does better aas it seems nots not growing much at all .

I have two Judith Finns that I bought during the moving sale. They have not pitchered yet, but have been slowly adapting to their new home and have not declined. I have at least one new leaf on each plant and they seem to be recovering from the shipping nicely.

I just bought 2 Judith Finns last week and recieved them this week. They were in good shape.

Here is a pic of the sale Judith Finns
Judith Fin Sale Pic

I purchased a couple a few years ago from PFT. They are amazing plants! The pitcher production was a little slow, but each one had a measurable increase in pitcher size. If you can provide cool nights for this plant, I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

how do you provide cool nights for the plant?

I personally keep my plants in a terrarium, so I put ice bottles in at night. I also live in Washington, so the nights are pretty chilly. I open the windows and let a little breeze in. As long as keep my toes under the blanket, everything is OK.
smile.gif

I also grow in a terrarium, actually an enormous growing chamber the size of a shower stall.  
wink.gif

It sits next to a window in which I put a 4" diameter fan attached to a 4" diameter flexible duct tube. The fan blows cold air from outside the window, through the tube (which has a tube from a humidifier attched to it so that the incoming cold air is saturated with humidity) and into the terrarium at night.
During the day I shut the window so the temps heat up but I leave the fan on to keep the air movement going. In the hottest part of summer I run an Air Conditioner in the window and just set the intake fan in front of it so the air will still be cold at night. I try to keep the chamber 50*F at night but it does creep up to 60*F in June as summer approaches.

N. x Judith finn doesn't require true highland conditions of 50*F at night a bit warmer is alright and I have recently moved it to my intermediate chamber who's night temps are 60-65*F. After two months it has not appeared to seriously affect the plant, it continues to grow new leaves and and pitchers just fine, no deformities as in the lowland chamber. I do expect to loose the old pitchers eventually because there is a big difference between these two environments temperatures, air flow and lighting.

Back