Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes tentaculata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I have had under my care a Nepenthes tentaculata for quite a while. This is one of my favorite plants, and I'd like to have it grow to its fullest potential.

I recently saw this picture, and thought maybe I should be doing better:

Here is an overview of my plant:

Also, here are closeups of the side shoots if that is important.

And a developing pitcher for good measure:

You can see that it has divided several times. Am I doing something wrong? Why is it dividing? Is it under stress?

Conditions:
    All of these plants see temps of 25-27C during the day, and 5-15 C during the night, with 80% humidity during the day (not sure about the night - I'm sleeping). There was a time when I was really busy, and was unable to put ice in the terrarium at night, but this plant seemed to chug along.

So my questions are:
    Is the long period without ice why the plant is developing slowly?
    Is this long period likely why it has divided so many times?
    What can I do to make it grow faster (and resemble the first picture I posted)?
    And any tips in general would also be appreciated.

Thank you very much,
    Pat
    (Apologies for including so many pictures, I didn't want to leave anything out)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's with the water in the bottom?

My first impression is way way too wet and not enough light.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The water at the bottom is about 1/8" (i think) of standing r.o. water. I have always grown my plants in standing water with good success previously. I can change it if you think it would be better to water daily, but then would I have to remove the water daily at the bottom as well? Seems like it would build up.

The light consists of 3 48" flourescent lights. The timer is set for 12.5 hours of light. Do you recommend more intense sunlight, or a longer duration? Unfortunately, I cannot provide much natural sunlight in my apartment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you use pot drip catchers? The little plastic saucers that fit under the pot? When I water my plants, I do it until I can just see water dripping into the saucer, not too wet, not too dry.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pat,

Some Nepenthes don't mind sitting in a tad bit of water and in fact prefer it. Most however do not appreciate it. Am I correct in thinking you grew them mostly outdoors previously where they were sitting in a little water? This might also make a difference since you have alot more transpiration from the plant and evaporation from the soil surface compared to sitting in a fishtank terrarium.
    I don't grow in a terrarium but am under the impression that you should only need to water once .. maybe twice a week. Perhaps even less often if it's very tightly sealed. The potting mix can dry slightly between watering without any problem. If your worried about humidity or the water that drains from the pot you can raise the pots up on a platform of that plastic eggcrate material so they don't sit in water.

I would increase the lights to 14 hrs. 3 lights is ok.. but not great. If you can get the plants closer to the lights that might help. How far away from the tubes are they now?

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Previously, I had grown all of my highlanders in a terrarium in similar conditions, but I did grow some alata and ventrata outdoors with _amazing_ success.

The crown of the tentaculata is about 9.5" away from the lights.

And I'm increasing the light duration right now, thank you for the advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ok must have been your previous pictures of the N. alata and N. ventrata.

Is there a lid on the terrarium?

I think the light duration will help a little.

I would suggest the eggcrate raised up a few inches on some pvc pipes. That will keep the plants out of sitting water and also get them a few inches closer to the lights. How often do you change them and what kind of light bulb are they? Maybe add some reflective material to the sides of the tank you don't need to look through?

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the aquarium is sealed by the lights. The lights are... made by a company called Kotobuki (?). I'm not sure if there any wattage associated with flourescent lights, but I didn't see anything like that written on the tubes. I have not changed the lights yet.. I have had them for about a year or two, are they past due?

And I will be purchasing some tinfoil for the sides. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img].

Do you (or anyone really) think that 80% humidity during the day is adequate?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast