What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes dubia

Hi,

N. dubia arrived some weeks ago and of course there is little information concerning the cultivation of this plant available on the net. Can anyone make recommendations concerning the cultivation of this plant from his personal experience? I've read the articles available for N. dubia and would expect typical highland conditions to suit N. dubia best. Mine are growing in pure sphagnum at the moment. Also Andreas suggested high light levels, but I'll wait some weeks until they have settled in a little bit.

Maybe we should start a growing contest. From what I've read at least Josh and Joel should have identical plants from the first batch Andreas shipped (~1.5cm plants). Anyone interested?

Cheers Joachim

I won't have anything new from Andreas for another six months as he cancelled my order of almost 30 new plants until spring 2004!
sad.gif

I've been growing this species for a couple of years, and have found that it is a bit touchy. Of course, I may also be using a compost which is a bit too coarse (pine bark, charcoal, pumice, and peat). It has pitchered for me, and does do quite well, but this seems to occur only in winter, when temperatures are much cooler. Regular watering is recommended.

Recently, I got one of the TC specimens which A. Wistuba is selling, and it is in sphagnum and growing very well. So, hopefully at some point I'll be able gain some insight by comparing the two plants....

I am currently growing this plant in pure pine bark topped with live sphag. It is out on my sunporch (high 30C, low 8C) 1 meter below a 400W HID/MH bulb. So far it is growing slow but strong, no new pitchers yet but I have only had it about a month

Okay Joachim, it's on! Yeah, I got mine from Wistuba. It's about the size of a US dime! (On a good day when I've had one too many beers and I'm admiring it!) Mine is in pure long fiber sphagnum. And of course I'm treating it like my others. "Out of the box, in a pot, and out you go!" So it's outside with my other Neps. No problems. It receives full sun right now and some partial shading during the afternoon. I only hope it grows as fast as N. inermis. If it grows as slooooooow as my villosas I got from Wistuba, it will be a while! So for how touchy it is? I gave it the boot directly outside the evening it arrived on my doorstep and it has been there ever since. So it appears to be a pretty good sport! We may have to break out the micrometers and microscopes to see who's is the biggest in the next months!

Take care,
Joel

Hi all,

many thanks for your replys! Thanks to the lower temperatures outside all my plants will get colder night temperatures (~10-14 deg C.) for the next months. Both plants seem to acclimatize quite easily with the first new leaf already appearing. I've placed them under different light levels to see what suits them better.

Cheers Joachim

We're finding N. dubia is responding to typical highland conditions. I would agree with Andreas about the necessity for high light levels.

Alright! By some divine providence I got my N. dubia today 11-20-03! So I wanna sign up in the growing contest too. Mine is exactly 1.5 cm diameter not including pitchers.
Small but proud!
biggrin.gif

Hi people!!. Don't get me to drool again over dubia. Where did you all get yours??.

Thanks

Gus

Hi,

Happy birthday Josh! You're welcome.

Augustin, before you get over-excited, this is what we're speaking about:

N_dubia_201103.jpg

(My bigger plant!)

Cheers Joachim

Well, i only need to know that it is dubia and i am in ecstasy!!.
Please anyone send me an e-mail for the source of the dubias. Otherwise,i'll have to go cold turkey!!.

Gus

Back