What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping tips in plastic bags to increase humidity

Cindy

Staff member
Some time ago, there was a thread on helping the plants get larger pitchers by increasing the humidity around the tip of the leaf, either through wrapping it with LFS or resting the tip on moist LFS or live sphagnum.

I mentioned that I decided to help my n.albomarginata that haven't pitchered eversince I bought it more than 6 mths ago.

I placed several of the newer leaf tips in little ziploc bags.

albo_pb.jpg

And forgot about them until my dad asked if I was trying to suffocate a pitcher...then I found this in one of the little bags!!!

albo.jpg

Cool! I'm watching my bicalcarata & alata...
laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Nov. 10 2003,5:52)]Some time ago, there was a thread on helping the plants get larger pitchers by increasing the humidity around the tip of the leaf, either through wrapping it with LFS or resting the tip on moist LFS or live sphagnum.

I mentioned that I decided to help my n.albomarginata that haven't pitchered eversince I bought it more than 6 mths ago.

I placed several of the newer leaf tips in little ziploc bags.

albo_pb.jpg

And forgot about them until my dad asked if I was trying to suffocate a pitcher...then I found this in one of the little bags!!!

albo.jpg

Cool! I'm watching my bicalcarata & alata...
laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
im gonna try this for my bical
did you just slap a bag onto it and thats it
blues.gif

The bad part is you will likely have to keep the bag on the pitcher or it will dry up pretty fast. If you plant hasn't pitchered since you bought it six months ago or more and it did when you bagged it that means the light available is good enough for pitchering but the humidity is too low for it to acclimate and pitcher. Is there some way you can humidify the area where your plants are now just buying an ultrasonic humdiifier and letting it run will raise the humidity in the area of your plants but won't make your house all hot and moldy like the old boiler style humidifiers. Then you won't have to have your plant covered in little baggies!

Just out of curiosity if any of the leaves not in baggies have any pitchers developing now?

Ok. You finally made it pitcher; now what?
rock.gif
You can't leave it outside the zip-lock or else it will die out cuz' of the low drop of humidity around it.
sad.gif

How long were the pitchers in the ziplock baggy? Does it feel squishy to the touch?

swords:
The plants came from greenhouse conditions. They are on my windowsill where other lowlands like ampullaria, gracilis and rafflesiana grow very well. I noticed that such greenhouse plants take 6-12 mths before they acclimatise to my weather here.

Tony:
Nope, but I will not be surprised if other older "unbagged" leaves start pitchering. I'm for the idea that the plant just sense an "overall" increase in humidity with a few baggies.
smile.gif

Andenes:
smile.gif
 No worries. My room is humid enough for ampullaria to grow well. Just that the albomarginata hasn't pitchered even in such a condition that I decided to try the baggies as an experiment. In case, the pitcher goes into shock, I've been misting it.
smile.gif
Anyway, its lid is opening.

trashcan:
I bagged them on 12/09...so it's been 2 months. The pitcher's quite tough, not squishy at all. About 2.5" in size. Could be larger but it was bursting out of the bag already...LOL...I'm still amused by my dad's comment that I was trying to suffocate the pitcher! Albomarginata's leaves are pretty thick and the pitcher's quite leathery to feel.

Warning: My bicalcarata's tips turned moldy so I removed the baggies.

I think to get a means to remove the bag you could just cut a small hole in the bag, and over time cut more in. Eventually you can start removing the bags. I don't know 100% if this will work, youll have to see if nep pitchers can slowly adapt to lower humidity

Back