Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why wont it grow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that list Tony, it'll be very helpful as a reference tool!
    I will be saving that.

The only two I don't recognize on the list are Neutral White and Chroma75. Is Chroma75 marketed under a different trade name? I ask since Chroma50s are sold as "Sunshine" in some places (Wal Mart, Home Depot).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chroma bulb is technically a trade name for GE bulbs. Part of the problem is Philips and Sylvania/Osram also make a variety of bulbs. The only definitions they use in common are the softwhite, warmwhite, and coolwhite and perhaps Daylight. All the others like the Chroma and other specialty bulbs (read nontypical Kelvin and or CRI) have a different name for each manufacturer.

For example a 5000K tube by GE is Chroma50, by Philips it is Colortone50, for Sylvania it is Design50. This is also not to say that a manufacturer only makes one bulb at each K temperature. They may make several with different names.

For example Philips Colortone50 and Ultralume50. Both are 5000k bulbs but the ultralume puts out 30% more lumens. And to confuse you further.. the Philips Ultralume line is comparable to GE's Specification Series SPX tubes..

Bottom line in my opinion.. stick with cool white at the bare minimum or something that says daylight/sunshine for a step up. Don't worry about manufacturer. And you should be in good shape.

Incase you all havn't had enough of my opinions. Using a warm white with the cool whites is not necessary.
    Tony

PS I have never seen a neutral white or lite white bulb for sale anywhere either but figured I would leave my chart intact.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm using warm white, then. thats what it says on one of the packages. The bical came in good condition, with I think four leaves and a tiny leaf that had just emerged. This small leaf has since grown out to about an inch, but then hasn't grown anymore. I didn't repot it or drop it or something so it probably isnt in shock. It probably just needs some more heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It IS in a state of shock. Anytime you change the growing conditions of a Nepenthes (from nurserys conditions to your windowsill and terrarium jar) it will be in shock and will take several months to settle in/acclimate to it's new conditions. Then when you move it to a bigger jar or whatever it will take another few months to acclimate to the conditions in that jar. And so on, and so on.

As far as the new leaf growing out and not getting bigger, this is a clear result of being moved from one type of growing environment to another and is exactly the sort of "shock" that the plant will express when simply moved around, even in a pot. If you were to take the plant out and play field hockey with it and repot it it would probably loose all it's leaves but if it was left in proper conditions it may bounce back.

The degree of shock which it displays is directly related to the amount of shock it experiences.

FYI: Once a Nepenthes leaf has fully expanded/unfurled it will not grow bigger. Once it's open, it's open. They increase in size with consecutive leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I have a brand new lowland tank setup all ready for plants with 2 fixtures with 2 lights each. Im using warm white, so I am all set, heater, and all. So, make sure you have everything you need before the plant comes, that way you dont have to makeshift with un-proper requirements. Hope it helps,
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welll, i think its growing now. For the past couple of weeks or so, that little leaf has uncurled and is now just about completely uncurled with a tendril and whatever you call those things that turn into pitchers. (pitcher hook was what I think swords called it). It would be really nice if it turned into a pitcher. Actually the leaf hasn't grown much/at all today and yesterday, but i think itll soon grow some. I'll definitely post a pic if I get a pitcher. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a little OT, but i dont want to waste space for such a similar topic

do they make VHO grow lights? all i know of are VHO reef lights. i'm overdriving no flours on a VHO ballast, and i just wanted to get the most out of my flour.

what I use is 2 generic grow lights and 2 full spectrum lights (they come in orange tubes with a sun on them) and my baby sarrs grew well under them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAPill,
    I have seen 6500K VHOs at the fish shop. This is aproximately noonday sun in Chicago so it would take care of the blue spectrum and those GE Chroma 50s (full spectrum lights in the orange sleeve with the yellow sun) will cover the warmer range with 5000K. I've never used VHOs because at the price they charge for the retrofit setup you can also buy a MH setup.
    I've heard of people overdriving bulbs but often wondered if the bulb wouldn't be more susceptible to exploding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12