What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. mirabilis var. echinostoma

I was wondering what should be the soil recipe for N. mirabilis var. echinostoma? In the book The Savage Garden they said that they perfer a more alkaline substrate but in some of the sites that I was looking at, they said they perfer dense peaty soil. Can someone sort this out?
Thanks

N. mirabilis likes your standard Nepenthes soil mixes but likes it wetter than most. I had one that went nuts sitting in water, which is a general "no-no." It was in LF sphagnum.

Regards,

Joe

whoa! that was fast. Also what do you think the cultivation ease is, and what would you recommend for humidity and temp for this lowlander?

Ideally, not less than 70 F. Neps in general like high humidity, so above 70% would be good(I would stray away from 100% , unless you have good air movement).

Regards,

Joe

Hi there. N. mirabilis seems to be a very easy plant at least from 5 cm to 10 cm!  I have var. Echinostoma (I got mine in May) as well as a couple hybrids where mirabilis is used. All grow & pitcher easily in true lowland conditions of 80%+ humidity and temps between 85-95*F during the day and 70-75*F at night year round.

As for soil I simply placed it in long fibered sphagnum, there's probably some medium grade orchid bark and charcoal too as I always like to blend that with it to allow a bit more aeration/faster drainage and "sweeten" the soil with charcoal.

I have not tried it in a tray of water as Joe but both N. ampullaria and N. mirabilis are known to occur where the ground may be waterlogged during heavier rains. When my plant is bigger I may experiment with occasional flooding.

Back