What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got up today and saw a white express mail box outside my door. Opening it up, lo' and behold it's part of my "on hold" order from Wistuba! I thought I wasn't getting anything until Spring '04!  
biggrin.gif

I got:
N. ampullaria (Tayeve Giant Form)
N. dubia
N. gracillima
N. gymnamphora
N. insignis (Tayeve)
N. merilliana
N. mira
N. muluensis
N. murudensis
N. reinwardtiana (borneo highland red form)
N. spectabilis

The rarer stuff was what was on hold apparently but at least I got a dubi  on my birthday!
wink.gif

What a pleasant surprise, and Happy Birthday, BTW!
How does the dubia look? Hopefully not as a friend in the UK puts it, "a rootless nub", lol.

Regards,

Joe

Happy B-day Josh! Nice haul, there! I can't wait until I can build a greenhouse and go nuts on the neps, too. Hey, I also just got a N. mira yesterday! I got it on ebay from Cook's for half the website price. It's small, 2-3 inch leaves, but in perfect shape. I don't know why, but I'm really excited about this nep.

Capslock

Ohh that ampullaria form DROOL! N. gracillima...whoo! Lucky lucky!
smile.gif

Hi all, thanks for the well wishes!

Joe, my dubia came with a good set of roots. I have received a few rootless nubs/plantlets before (N. campanulata, N, clipeata and N. macrophylla, N. mikei) but if they are put in live sphagnum and high humidity and bright light (but not intense) they seemed to root very easily. Just tell him to water the nub with a sprayer until he's sure a few new leaves have been formed (a few months) this should indicate some root growth then occasional flushing of the pot is OK. I rotted my N. mikei by flushing the pot too often when it was a rootless 4 cm plantlet. With the others I was more miserly with the water and they did just fine.

Caps, N. mira is said to be "the N. rajah of the Philippines" and N. merilliana is said to be "the lowland N. rajah". It will be interesting to see how these grow/look in comparison to N. rajah.

Nep G, I sure hope this Tayeve form will truly produce the extra large size spotted pitchers as I surely don't need any more plain green ampullarias!

I have tried something new with a few species. I used some Oak Leaf Mold (crushed leaves) in the soil mixes for the: N. ampullaria, gracillima, mira and muluensis blended into sphagnum, bark and charcoal(+ perlite in the gracillima mix). Has anybody else used OLM with their terrestrial species?

Wow, that's great Swords! Now we both have giant ampullarias
biggrin.gif
! Did you get that x large form of N. spectabilis? How large is that ampullaria? Mine is pretty small.

Hey Nate,

The N. ampullaria (Tayeve form) I received is 12 cm in diameter. In hot humid and bright conditions my green ampullaria grows rather quickly. I'm hopeful this one will too! How large was yours when you got it, how big was it and how big is it now?

Yes, I got the Gunnung Bandahara form of N. spectabilis (it arrived at 18 cm). Anytime I see "extra large form" or something like that, I just gotta have it! Are you also growing this one?

I must say, aside from the N. dubia and N. gymnamphora, the plants in this shipment are by far the largest plants I've ever received from Wistuba!  
smile.gif

Do you have any pictures of your new plants?

Dear Swords a.k.a Josh. Have a wonderful birthday and may your house look like the movie scenes of "JUMANJI" with so many neps.

Gus

Very nice!
on a side note: Hehe @ you getting a dubi on your b-day.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The rarer stuff was what was on hold apparently but at least I got a dubi on my birthday!
Andrew
wink.gif

I've got some mira as well (for 4-5 years, when I got them, it didn't even had a name) Mine are grown from seeds and I can say that mira is quite an easy grower. I don't grow rajah, so I can't make comparisons, but I believe that mira should grow faster.
Before, I use to grow my mira in intermediate (almost lowland) conditions, and it grew still quite well. Now, since I have a good cooling system, this species is even happier  
cool.gif

Best regards,

David

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY
wink.gif

Sorry! I meant to mention that, too. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Happy Birthday
biggrin.gif
. The ampullaria I recieved from him was about 2" (could only afford size 2
biggrin.gif
), and hasn't grown much due to the extreme cold outside
sad.gif
, although the grow room still maintains above 75F at day, thank god. Guess I'll haveto setup a warm terrarium... Anyway, I got a good sized N. spectabilis (smaller than yours ;) )from the same area, as well. It's adjusting nicely, and has lovely red leaves. A lot of the nepenthes I got fom Wistuba were larger than expected, and I guess it's because of the new growing space they have. I was most pleased with the 2.5", 3/5" pitchered macrophylla though
biggrin.gif
. The N. bongso and thorelii were large too, but my thorelii has been frozen in time for months. I'm starting to worry
sad.gif

Back