What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a few shots from November

Highland chamber (right side not shown) getting more crowded! The black vine in the front is the hamata. Its tendrils from the climbing leaves have started to wind around the stakes I placed next to them so hopefully I can show some intermediates or uppers soon!
highland1103.jpg

My current favorite plant, N. aristolochides x thorelii pitcher 10 cm high, I wonder how large the pitchers will get. How large do N. thorelii pitchers get?:
aristoxthor1103.jpg

N. inermis, 15 cm diameter with 9 cm pitchers:
inermis1103.jpg

N. fusca (Tambunan Road form) 18 cm intermediate pitcher.
fusca1103.jpg

N. ampullaria 6 cm high fuzzy pitcher:
ampullaria1103.jpg

N. ampullaria basal carpet (I did cut the background off from this one so I could use it as a graphic on my site):
ampscape.jpg

I hope you dig em!

You have plants everywhere there! (hanging off the walls!) it would be interesting (but also mean) to release a few small rodents in there. . .
mad.gif

Excellent as always Josh! Seems the hamata is taking skills in stake climbing!
smile.gif

Very nice. Do you know if aristolochioides x thorelii will tolerate intermediate conditions, considering its parentage?

Also, what size pot do you have that lovely amp in?

Has anybody ever thought that amp pitchers look a bit like mutated VFT traps?

Glad you guys like them!

I don't know anything at all about N. thorelii. Info seems scarce on this Vietnamese species, even on the web. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? It's not listed in any monographs I've got, so I've no idea what to expect with the N. thorelii parentage. Is it considered an easy or lowland species?

I do know that N. aristolochioides insists on cooler days and cold nights to pitcher and retain it's pitchers for a long time (lately my highland chamber has been getting down to 8*C and 6*C last night). During the few weeks of on and off high temps in July and August (days 30*C and nights 15-18*C) the N. aristo pouted and did not pitcher for about two leaves/months. Renewed vigor returned (with much larger pitchers) in September as soon as the days and nights went back down to a steady 20-25*C days and 10*C nights.

Yes, I too have noticed that the wings of N. ampullaria look like closed venus flytraps with their "X" ed interlocking hairs. I didn't mention it cos I didn't know if anyone else would know what I was talking about! Glad I'm not alone in this!

The N. ampullaria is in a 6" pot with a nearly meter long vine. Contrary to what books say about pitcherless vine leaves it has nice pitchers on every leaf, that may because it's getting better light than if it was running through shady underbrush in the wild. I've counted 18 individual rosettes, or first leaf starts of rosettes in the pot. It seems to appreciate the cramped pot by making a ton of rosettes. I'd like to remove the vine to make more room but I don't wanna activate any of the rosettes. I'd like to have a Cephalotus type mound of ampullarias with small leaves and "big" pitchers but it seems the only way to do that is by leaving the main vine alone.

Josh, I got a N. aristochloides x thorelli after I saw yours. Amazing plant, and Tony really sent me a beaut! I'll post some pics after it grows a few pitchers here. As long as new pics are being posted, though, I think I'll throw in one of my latest N. x weignerii pitcher, which is quite a bit bigger than the last one:

N.%20x%20Weignerii3.JPG

Capslock

PS: I really like the N. aristochloides. I've seen pics of a lot of hybrids with this nep, and they are all outstanding. It just has a great looking pitcher shape!

Hi Caps,
What is that N. x Weignerii hybrid made of? It superficially resmebles my Isamo Kusakobe (Efflugent Koto x mirabilis x thorelii) with that fat lip at the front of the peristome and the red wings. However yours is more decorative with those speckles and appears to be wider with a more pronounced hip.

Here's a 12 cm Isamo pitcher for comparison:
isamohybridposter.jpg

edit: I missed the part at the bottom. Where can I find photos of hybrids with N. aristolochioides? It's one of my favorite non "clawed peristome" Nepenthes.

Hey Josh,

Here is the site with some cool aristolochioides (boy did I garble that spelling above!) hybrids, as well as other cool hybrids:
Exotica Plants

The N. x Weigneri is this: ((thorelii x maxima) x (rafflesiana x hirsuta)) or alternatively: (x 'Balmy' Koto x x Intermedia)

Capslock

Josh, Isamo hybrid looking good!
smile.gif

Here's some info on N. thorelli since your interested in it, not sure if you've look here already but here it is anyway. N. thorelii

Awesome pictures as always!! I could look at your pictures all day! You should do this weekly! J/K But hey, there's something to ponder...
wink.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
cool.gif

...REALLY nice pictures Josh. I can't wait to see the pitchers that the hamata vine produces!

Unless i'm mistaken, Savage Garden includes a description of N. thorelii. That's how i know it's a lowlander. Beyond that, it's pretty sparce info.

That plants with attitude page was helpful, though. I wonder how well the hybrid would do with warmer temps. Mine is big enough that i'm tempted to try it as an intermediate (==less highland terrarium space)

Swords, is that a Paphiopedilum villosa hiding in the bottom?

Swords: nice plants swords!! i wish my plants were that healthy...
im thinking of setting up a terrarium for tropical neps,
how big is that terrarium and what lights do you use? also what do you recomend for me? i have about 10 neps. thx alot

Carcinos,
Yes, there is a Paph. villosum on the right:
paphvillosum.jpg

and a Paph wardii on the left:
paphwardii.jpg

I have many other Paphs, Phrags, Draculas, Masdevallias and other Pleurothallid orchids not yet in bloom. Actually Masdevallia Morning Dove Hybrid and Dracula Robelledorum (I butchered the spelling) are sending out flower spikes, but nothing to show yet. My orchids live under the highland shelf. I bring them up for better light when they begin to bud. Hopefully nobody in charge minds too terribly that there are some orchid pix here on the Nep forum!

Wezx,
I really can't make any recomendations for you until I know what species or hybrids you're growing. Some species are highland (growing in cool mountain forests-much harder to keep alive if you do not have the right setup) and some are lowland from the hot and steamy "true" rainforest areas. The lowlanders are easier because they desire heat and we live in heated homes. Cooling highland plants like the ones shown above requires a different strategy to provide the appropriate temperatures. All Nepenthes require high humidity (my chambers humidistats are all set/tweaked for 90% humidity). All Nepenthes are tropical however, mostly living in the south east asian region. There are a few species scattered in the outlying areas as well but all areas are generally per-humid and do not often experience frost conditions.

I am working on an article detailing how I built my highland terrarium and assembled the cooling/humidification setup. Hopefully I can have it up before I go back to work on Saturday. Watch my homepage for more info:Jurassic Gardens  
smile.gif

Back