What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. clipeata Clone U

I have been growing N. clipeata Clone U (not the clone I ordered but that's what I was sent) and the latest few leaves have me wondeing if it isn't some kind of N. truncata hybrid because as I understand it, N. clipeata has orbiculate leaves.

This plant is only 8 cm in diameter total:
clipu1.jpg

Here is the latest leaf (5 cm) which is not yet fully  expanded but looks very truncated:
clipu11.jpg

And the last fully expanded leaf (3 cm) which is not quite as square:
clipu111.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts, especially if any of you are growing this specific clone!

Josh,

I don't know which of the clones I got from Wistuba, but the shape of young plants' leaves do look truncata-like initially.

Regards,

Christer

I wouldn't worry Josh, looks OK to me. Juvenile N. clipeata look that way. Characteristic leaf form and pitchers appear when the plant is over about 6" in diameter.

Whew! Thanks guys!
biggrin.gif

Hi Josh,

your plant looks like all small N. clipeata I've seen so far. Slightly older the pitchers look more mature:

N_clipeata_1103_small.jpg

10cm pitcher from an basal offshot which emerged about one year ago.

Cheers Joachim

Thanks Joachim,

Wow, that's a very excellent pink color! I'm expecting creamy white colored pitchers, Now I'm gonna be hoping mine looks like that! Do you know which clone you've got? Wistubas catalog has the same image for all N. clipeata clones and doesn't explain any sort of difference between them.

How large was your N. clipeata before it created a basal shoot?

Hi Josh,

sadly I got my plant without a clone number so I can't tell which one it is. I won't expect Andreas knowing the differences between his clones because they all originate from the same cross made in Munich botanical Garden some years ago. (They had a much better staff at that time
sad.gif
)

The diameter of the leaf rosette was about 40cm when the offshots appeared. From older plants I've seen this is the size adult N. clipeata will reach.

Cheers Joachim

So all of Wistubas are actually clip x eymae x clip? Or was that screw up done by a different BG ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Nov. 29 2003,8:30)]So all of Wistubas are actually clip x eymae x clip? Or was that screw up done by a different BG ?
Hi Josh,

the clones Andreas sells are true N. clipeata. He knows the difference and won't sell N. clipeata hybrids. The hybrid you mention is widely spread in the US AFAIK and was made with the same female flower. There is an older thread in this forum discussing the plants Tony has.

Cheers Joachim

OK cool! I remember that discussion well, which is why when you mentioned the Munich BG I got to wondering. That is also why I didn't specifically order "clone U" as that is too close to "clone Unknown"!
wink.gif

Back