Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. ampullaria

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on starting a vivarium and i would like to put a n. ampullaria in it. Why do some plants have HUGE (long) leaves, and others have small leaves? i dont mind the vining nature of the plant, but i would rather have one with small leaves since i've seen vines with small leaves and vines with long leaves. does anyone know where i can get one of there small-leaved varieties?

thanks,
    clint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know of any "small leaved" varieties of N. ampullaria. They are graded/sold depending upon pitcher coloration.

The short leaves with very large pitchers like this:

Are actually basal shoots that come up around the large mother vine, which develops leaves about 25-35 cm in length not including tendrils and pitchers. To keep these basal shoots short with small leaves you need to let the main vine grow uncut. I do not know how far or even if you can cut the main vine back without it activating the basal shoots to begin growing into vines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really? how come this one has such short leaves?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez Josh...is that your ampullaria?? Whether it is or not...what a beauty! Ampullaria is one of my favorites. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAPill, this is a "bonsai" style plant of N. ampullaria that Rob made by experimentation. It is cool! But if you notice there is a very large, old brown stem which these rosettes are growing from (N. ampullaria occasionally creates rosettes along it's vine).
    From what I know of the bonsai technique the way to keep plants small is to keep them somewhat rootbound and occasionally prune the roots back enough to keep it in a tiny pot and rigorously prune any foliage growth over a certain size. Eventually this will "dwarf" many plants.
    Perhaps Rob will pop in and explain his procedure for doing this to Nepenthes, but this is not the natural size of N. ampullaria leaves on the vine.

Plantakiss, yup that clump is one of my ampullarias. I divided up the other big one into vine and basal shoot cuttings. I'll have about 20-30 N. amps (green form) soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.borneoexotics.com/photos/temp/amp_pot2.jpg

that's strange. it shows up normally on my monitor.

and yes, it IS a nice nep, swords. i hope mine grows that well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It showed up now and I edited my answer! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really? thats pretty cool! can you tell me the length of a mature leaf? the viv. is a 75 gal, so its only 18 inches wide. So far the only small neps i have found are: belli, amp, gracilis, and canpanulata, so i'm very limited.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast