Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plants in my new highland terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally set up highland terrarium, and find it's too small already. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/d_muscipula/images/20031201-CP-Highland%20Terrarium,%20Mk2-N.rajah,%20N.singalana,%20N.villosa,%20N.lowii,%20N.aristolochioides,%20N.diatas,%20N.burbidgeae,%20N.ephippiata,%20N.hamata.jpg[/img]
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Awesome setup. I have a couple of questions..
    First- how did you cut your egg crate?
    Second - how much did your temp/humidity sensor cost? I saw it for sale for about $35 somewhere and was wondering if its cheaper anywhere else.
    Third- what's the cool red plant in the middle, and the plant just to the left of it? They look really nice.
    (sorry for the question bombardment)

Thanks,
    Pat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Your answers:
    1) It came in sheets that size, but the egg crate i used in my lowland needed to be cut. I used pliers to break each link in turn, but i've heard that tin snips work better.
    2) $10 Wal-mart Temp/humidistat. Best deal around! Only problems i've had with it are that it has a tendency to max out on humidity reading around 87% (above that it just says "HI"). It sometimes reads "LO" when it's obviously too high, and that's a nuisance because LO becomes the min humidity reading, so it's impossible to tell how low it actually got. Also a bit bigger than i like, but it's as small as any others i've seen.
    3) N. burbidgeae. Mine seems to be unusually red, and another guy who got his around the same time as me says his is red, too. I really like that coloration, too, although at first i was concerned about it.
    The plant next to it is an N. diatas meadow form, with the most visible pitcher half withered. It's hard to tell, but the pitcher next to the pot on the right is from the same plant.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! I will be stopping by Walmart to look for one of those. And the diatas is what I suspected it to be.. I really like this plant, and I'm considering getting one, too. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great setup, D. muscipula, I think you've done a great job!

Could I trouble you to lay out, briefly, how you've gone about building this highland terrararium? Thanks so much.

Colin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking nice! That N. burbidgeae is still holding its color nicely! The new leaf looks more green, do they darken when they totally unfurl?

What is the flexible aluminum duct tubing doing there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I described it a bit more in the other thread, but to reiterate, much like Josh, i ran duct from the window to the terrarium. I installed a 'muffin fan' in the intake of the duct, and it currently sits between double windows (due to Boston's random weather, i can tell already this is going to be very cold sometimes and sometimes too warm, all in one week). The duct vents into a "lint trap" full of water and draped with a cotton cloth that dangles into the water. This serves to slow down and humidify the air, but unfortunately takes a lot of space in the terrarium.

The ventilation parts cost more or less thusly:
    $9 120V metal-body muffin fan (Ebay)
    $10 lint trap kit (with duct)
    $3 hood pipe
    + old sock and random foam for sealing window as best as possible
    duct tape - priceless [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    == as cheap as possible

Lighting is currently 3x 2' fluorescents (2x 5000K and 1x 4100K (cool white) F17T8s). Cost was:
    ~$3/bulb
    $15 ballast (which will power up to four bulbs).
    $2/pair of end sockets
    $6 replacement cord

The ultrasonic mister seems to be DOA. I returned from school and the humidity is down to '73%', which only worries me for my hamata, which i have babied with an extra cover until now. I plugged in the mister, but nothing has happened so far.

I have a much fancier and more labor-intensive setup planned, but finally decide to throw this together at postpone the deluxe model until i had the kinks worked out and perhaps more time (Riiiiight....).

That's why the leaf is greenish, Josh. Unfortunately, most of the plants have been languishing away in random plastic bags or small terraria on the floor of the room, and not always getting their cool nights or enough light. That's also why i decided i better go ahead and put together something - fast!

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trashcan, I buy my eggcrate from Lowe's, on South Hill. I cut it with a set of pliers or wirecutters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast