What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Give it up for the lowly ventricosa!

OK, it's the most common nepenthes there is. But you gotta love a good red N. ventricosa pither:

N.%20ventricosa%202.JPG

Capslock

Mmm...very full-blooded. Nice!
Actually, I think xventrata is more common.

Even though its common, it still looks cool! nice perimstone.
smile.gif

Yay for N. ventricosa! I haven't posted any pics in a while so thought I might jump in here and add a couple. Neat thing about N. ventricosa is the variety of colors as well as pitcher shapes.

Squat form.. one of my favorites
NventriBsquatCR.jpg

Purple black color form. Actually starts out very pale and slowly develops to this color over several weeks.
Nventricosa_CEP.jpg

And a new one that came out of a batch of seed grown red colored plants.
NventricosaRedRuffleCR.jpg

Tony

wouldn't the ubiquitous (sp?) home depot nepenthes be lower?
blues.gif

that middle pic, Tony's ventricosa has a ton of "acid" in it!
tounge.gif

O lol yeah.. the plants are watered from overhead sprinklers so they tend to fill up over time. If you look close at the third picture you can see a little line at around the half way point and the pitcher had only been fully open a week or so.
T

oh yeah, your supposed to water neps from overhead, too. Its cool when you can look at the liquid in the pitchers.

Capslock, nice plant
smile.gif

And Tony, the third one looks the best to me.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Dec. 01 2003,8:01)]you gotta love a good red N. ventricosa pither
What do you think about white ones ?

ventricosawhite.JPG

wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

ventricosawhiteperistome.JPG

David Streit
biggrin.gif

OOOOOOhhhhh, very cool David! I like that! And Tony, I like that squat one as well. Very nice pics! Are they all equally easy to grow?

Capslock

Tony,

That third plant is awesome! The peristome is so cool!
wow.gif
Is it different enough from the "typical" ventricosa to give it cultivar status?

SF

Beatiful plant and photo Caps!  Yes, even the lowly and humble can be beautiful.  
biggrin.gif

Tony...you always have beautiful photos and plants.  Such interesting varieties.  It must be fun to be in the business you're in.  Not that it isn't hard work of course, but wow...look at the results!  I like all 3 of those.

And David...that's a beauty!  I've never seen one of those before.  Thanks for sharing.  And welcome to the forums, by the way.  Glad to have you aboard.  
smile.gif

Here's my little common ventricosa growing in my office at work.  Just yesterday I had a copier tech ogle my CPs and ask a lot of questions about all the plants.  She says her son is interested in flytraps so I referred her to this forum.  Maybe another convert!

ventricosa11-03RS.jpg

Suzanne

Great Pics David and Suzanne!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It must be fun to be in the business you're in.

I'm having a blast ;>

Capslock I haven't seen any difference in culture.

SF Not sure.  The wide frilly peristome does pop up occasionally and I know of at least a couple other clones that have it.  One I just got hasn't pitchered yet but is supposed to have a wide pink peristome.  Exotica has another from the same batch of red seedlings that retained much more red coloring than mine.  Guess I would have to contact the ICPS and see what they say.

Does your plant stay that color David?  I have a plant from Japan that is very pale but the peristome turns soft pink eventually.

NventricosaDPinkEPCR.jpg

Man oh man oh man!
Those are all such awsome pics everyone! My ventricosa is still a baby (thanks again Cchang!). I just can't wait for it to mature....:cool:

I've never been hugely into N. ventricosa but I've seen some really nice stuff here!

Tony, that 3rd one with the ruffled white/pink striped peristome is simply fabulous and reminds me of victorian womens neckwear that I've seen in movies like Amadeus and Bram Stokers Dracula. Awesome! Lemme know if any more just like it show up! I'm sure it would be ideal to give it a cultivar name. From my interpretation of the ICPS' rules all you have to do is describe it as vividly as possible with photos if possible.

David that white one is also really neat, I would also be curious to know if they color up over time or under bright light. If they don't that's another one which I'd say deserves special recognition.

Technically I have a nice bright red one like Capslocks but mine has oddly NEVER done well in about 2-3 years time! For the last year or so it's stayed 3" in diameter with juvenile pitchers while all the Neps around it (no matetr which of the 3 climates I put it in) grow big and beautiful. It started as a mature vine cutting with 5" pitchers... have no idea what went wrong with the poor pitiful thing. Perhaps whoever did the cutting used an unsterile knife and it has some virus is my only conclusion.

Anyway, great shots everyone!
smile.gif

i think i will join in the fun here
tounge.gif
. here are some pics of my N. ventricosa 'Red'

VentricosaRed.jpg

VentricosaRed2.jpg

DSCF0017.JPG

DSCF0018.JPG

i took the first 2 pics last week along with the ones that were for my unidentified nep (turned out to be another ventricosa, maybe i will post them here too in case someone didn't see them). the batteries then died out and the camera shut off so i couldn't take any more
sad.gif
. oh well, i will propably have another chance this friday. at least i got some photos of my seedlings just befor it shut off
laugh.gif
the 2 last ones are taken a while ago, frogot when.
Tony Paroubek, David and Capslock, those are the most amazing ventricosas i have ever seen!
tounge.gif
. Zongyi

I was just wondering....Are all ventricosas intermediate?
rock.gif

Are all ventricosas intermediate? Well, sort of. I've tried several different clones here in south Florida. Before having a greenhouse, I lost a number of them to the extreme heat of summer. The clones that went down quickest were the most desireable-the really large pitchered types with the heavy substance pitcher. Some ventricosas have an almost woody texture to the pitchers. These special plants all seem to be pretty much intermediate to highland. The common red pitchered form that is in TC seems much more heat tolerant. We pull them through the summer with little fuss. No question they prefer the cooler nights we've experienced since the end of October. Now with the greenhouse, temperature are much cooler in summer-might have to try those ventricosas again!
By the way, the pictures are great, and prove what my wife Michelle always says: ANY well grown Nepenthes, no matter how common, is a thing of beauty.

Trent

Well the only nepenthes i can have are nepenthes that are tolerant to heat!
laugh.gif
Puerto Rico is full of it!
biggrin.gif

Back