What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi Guys! Seedling told me about this site and here I am! Great job! Lots of info and pics.

To give you some background info, I'm mainly in the Neps family, having added them to my ever-increasing orchid collection. I'm located North of Toronto (yep, about 10 inches of snow on the ground this morning...)  
sad.gif

I'm fortunate enough to have a greenhouse (another one on the way) which will allow us to house about 90 percent of Neps species. (warm and cool houses)

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Joe

PS. How do we add pix to a post?

Hey welcome! To post an image, you need to have your image hosted somewhere on a server. Then, just click the image button and enter the URL. That's it!

I look forward to seeing some of your photos!

SF

Welcome Welcome! 10inches already? Wow, we had 3 here and now 1 inch. Ever heard of the Thousand Islands Region? If so, that's my area. TO psot a picture just click the Image button when you add a reply and post the hyperlink in the window that will appear. Or you can type img /img and put the link inbetween those and just add the [] to each img thing.

Yep! 10 inches. We're about 1h45 North of T.O. and it's the highest point in Ontario, not to far from Lake Huron. So, guess what? Lots of snow/rainwater to water the plants this winter!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll post pic as soon as I have lots available  
smile.gif

Joe

Hi Joe,

glad to see you here! 10 inches for Toronto? wow! We are having more than a foot in Rimouski, since yesterday storm. But for this place (which you know a little I think), it is only a small taste of what is it coming lol! Shouldn't be easy to heat a greenhouse by these temps :p

Hey,
Welcome! My area in Washington state got 4 inches, none now...hopefully we'll have a white Christmas.
Kevin

Welcome!!
smile.gif
I live in southern california. it doesnt snow here.
cool.gif

Well, actually it DID sorta snow once.

Sarracenialuver: hopefully, but if it does like each winter, it will melt before we'll even have the time to have a nice snowshoes ride for xmas eve!
tounge.gif

Snow...whats that?
rock.gif

I don't know...
wink.gif
Down here in South Florida we get lots of rain. Is this a similar phenomenon (sp?)?

SF
tounge.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

That snow stuff is over-rated. Trust a Nebraskan who is watching the weather looming around possible snow. How is the cost of living and such in Florida, lol?

Joe

I really have nothing to compare the prices to, having lived in Florida all my short life. Maybe someone else can offer some insight on this subject?

SF

I live in San Antonio, Texas....it is probably one of the most inexpensive cities in the USA.....problem is the water supply is loaded with lime( about 14-20 ppm) so I have to buy my water.....still if I look in the right places I can get a Flytrap or Neph for 4.07 with tax.....a good town for orchids though(they don't care about the lime)
wink.gif
.....a ver bad town for Venus Flytraps that go to ill educated owners
ghostface.gif

I LOVE snow! I'm jealous! Send me snow! We've had flurries and a touch of sleet today but its nothing but a cruel tease. :-( It does not snow enough in Virginia.

Welcome to the forums! Should have posted this in the General Forum so everybody could greet you. Here, you're just gonna get those funny ol' nep lovers. hehe

Lucky you for your greenhouse. If you ever get tired of it, you can ship it my way.
biggrin.gif

Glad to have you aboard.
smile.gif

Suzanne
(Drosera lover but I like my neps too)

a big welcome from me too. looks like you finally made it here
biggrin.gif
. im just facinated by your neps, some of the rarest too. thanks for coming. Zongyi
smile.gif

Welcome aboard!
Funny...talking snow in the nep forum, lol. We've had a dusting or two, and now there's this big storm looming for the weekend...we'll see...probably more hype.

It's fun around here! You'll love the enthusiasm....energizing group of people.
Sounds like you've got a nice setup way up there in MapleLeaf Country. Look forward to reading your comments.

Trent

What? You guys want snow? I'll send you snow!

I know it's off-topic but we had soooo much snow last year at the farm that every single time I wanted to go to the greenhouse, I needed the following: a shovel, an axe and a phone. The shovel, well, it sounds pretty self-explanatory. As for the axe, there was always an good 3-4 inches of ice forming at the bottom of that sliding door. And the phone, well, when you're in there for a long time, ice would form again and you'd be stuck in there for a while! Once bitten...

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been reading a lot of posts and you guys seem like a good bunch of people! You're all invited to ski!.. and study CP in the wild.

There were a lot of questions out there about CITES. If you have specific questions, let me know, I've got some experience with that.

Hope to meet with all of you at one point!

Joe
smile.gif

Back