What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps with 'woody' stem?

• Thread starter cchang
  • Start date
Just something I've noticed....

As my N.ventricosa and N.tobaica experience new growth, the older stem seems to become dry and almost wood-like.
Is this normal? They still growing fine and I mist them twice a day.

wow.gif

This is normal. Typically the old stem on the Neps gets woody as the plant gets larger and larger. I wonder why though. Is it to support the plant better?

SF

I would say it's normal. I have seen lots of vines and cuttings with woody stems.

Regards,

Joe

This is OK, the plants are supposed to do this as a natural process. I've had to use a hacksaw on several hybrids which grew a long time in the same pot unpruned.

The only bad part I've noticed about them becoming woody, is that cuttings from this type of stem is often the hardest to root/activate.

Jah, those woody stems are tough to root. It helps to slit the bark a little on the sides near the bottom of the stems where it's been cut. Still, I've only been able to root one woody stem (out of a dozen) vs. 2 vine stems (out of 5)

That's interesting... being able to root from the wood stem. I didn't even think of that!!!
biggrin.gif

The part i like the most is when you trim the top of the plant and new growth comes out the woody stem. it is great to see the contrast between a green bud coming out of a brown woody stem.

Gus

Back