Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes burkei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

Considering the rather heated debate that has surrounded the identity of Nepenthes burkei in the past, I though people might be interested to see an image of this species which I recently photographed on a trip to Mindoro in the Philippines. There has been a lot of confusion surrounding the appearance of this species versus the closely related N. ventricosa, but as you can see there are some rather distinct differences in the pitcher shape. I'll have more photos of this species posted on my website soon.

I have only seen two plants of true N. burkei in cultivation, one in Australia and one in Japan, both of which I believe originated from a single collection made back in the 1970's. I would be curious to hear from anyone if this is being grown in Europe and/or the US.

In regards to Malesiana Tropicals (about which I have received many emails recently), please be informed that I have resigned from my work there in July. MT is still engaged in the production of Nepenthes and I presume will continue to do so. I regret having lost contact with many correspondents after leaving MT, but please feel free to email me directly at this address from now on. I am currently based in Sarawak and am still involved in field work on Nepenthes.

Best regards,
    Ch'ien Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Ch'ien! It is an honor to have you aboard the forums. Glad to hear things are going well for you.

Beautiful picture of N. burkei. The plant from Australia has been spread around and there are at least a few pieces in the US. I look forward to more pictures and discussion on this species and how it differs with N. ventricosa. There are other sources of N. burkei that don't look like typical N. ventricosa but also don't look entirely like the plant in your picture either.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to "see" you here Chi'en!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ch'ien

Welcome to the forums. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Thats a beautiful plant and photo. Thanks for the opportunity to see it. That's quite a striking pitcher.

Good to have you here!

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your photo with us, Ch'ien! It's excellent!

I have a specimen labelled N. burkei which I obtained from
    Australia. While the markings on my plant are virtually identical
    to the plant in your photo, the peristome is not nearly as flared.
    Did you observe any variation of this quality in the population of
    plants you observed, or is there considerable difference in
    this feature between upper and lower pitchers?? Do you
    have any other photos of the species you would care to post?

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, welcome! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] thats a really cool looking pitcher. . . [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

thanks for putting it up!

P.S. at M.T. whats the progress with the giant red bicals?
    hmm. . . someone may have said they were still in juvenile form or something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully this won't violate any rules but here is a non-sales page link to an image of a plant labeled "N. burkei" sold in the past by an orchid shop near me.
    N. "burkei"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ch'ien,
    Have always been enlightened by your input. The N. burkei photo is a great illustration! I ditto what Neps (Jeff) said above. You mentioned a website soon. Will this be something new, not associated with M.T.?

Trent

Boca Raton, Florida

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast