Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: N. hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim,

Beautiful photos, and beautiful plant, as usual!!!

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Please keep the topic on track guys. If you want to discuss the history of evolution and religon take it to general discussions. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    NG, I agree. As an avowed atheist, what can I say but -- Amen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say it is a little funny how you can claim being an atheist and use a religious term in the same sentence!

Back to the topic though. Hamata's are awesome! Nice pics all around!

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was attempting to put a kibosh on the whole possible bible vs science thing with my statement but apparently it didn't work! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

(As I've stated before I try never to discuss my politics or personal thoughts in public because it's been my experience that my views are not popular.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I must say it is a little funny how you can claim being an atheist and use a religious term in the same sentence!
    I think that was the point. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Quote[/b] ](As I've stated before I try never to discuss my politics or personal thoughts in public because it's been my experience that my views are not popular.)
    Popular ideas are frequently wrong... You can see this pretty easily if you ask a bunch of people which will fall faster, a lighter or heavier object (pencil and a television).

Sorry for contributing further offtopicity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

to answer the question of the origin of the plants Andreas sells, I asked him to look into this thread and the corresponding thread at the CP-UK-Forum ( http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewt...t=1967&start=0 ).

Here is his reply:

----------

Hallo Joachim,

Ich habe Klone, die aus verschiedenen Samen-Aufsammlingen stammen, beim Standort dürfte es sich wohl um den selben handeln. Klone mit vielen Zähnen halte ich übrigens für Hybriden mit N. tentaculata. Früher habe ich in der Tat N. hamata von MT zugekauft.

Gruß

Andreas

------------
    Maybe not all of you might speak fluently german , so here is my translation:

He writes that his clones origin from different seed collections. He believes the loaction was the same where the seeds Ch´ien refered to were collected. The plants he sold earlier in fact originated from MT as Ch´ien said. He adds that he believes that the clones with bigger number of teeths are in fact hybrids with N. tentaculata.

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dustin is right. the teeth are an adaptation to lure Nepenthephiles into aquiring the plants, thus furthering the continuation of the species, and spreading into new geographical regions-upstate New York, Minnesota etc.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Imho., those teeth function very much like the fangs on N. bicalcarata. Notice they are not aimed outward to ward off monkeys, but inward, to lead insects to a rather precarious position: hanging out over the pit of death. Foraging ants could easily loose their footing out on one of those teeth, plunging to their death in the trap. Edwardsiana and macrophylla do the same thing.
    Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry this might be a silly question but it was stated that all these clones started from the same collection. Would it not be possible to collect some more seed in the wild to have more genetic diversity in the population of N. hamata in collections?

I realize that the plants are protected but considering that this would help insure a diverse population being grown around the world would it not make sense? or does any one have flowering size plants that might produce seed? and do we know if any of the clones are male or female?

Andre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am writhing in jealousy.....
    In bleak description the waves come crashing; battering the very instinct of every lusting moment to fulfill this gaping desire. A mouth as dry as soot and how it once had tasted of life, fit within a moment’s time; And how those fleeting days laid in the light of blissful suffering. -me

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast