What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

red leaves?

Hi,

I moved my hanging basket hybrid Neps inside for the winter and have them in a 55 gallon tank with four 40watt flourescent bulbs on top. One bulb is a Coralife 10,000 K and the other 3 are the bulbs that come in an Oceanic Triple Bulb Aquarium Strip Light. I am planning on changing them to 10,000 K's soon. The 3 bulbs are probably close in type to the old Gro-Lux bulbs. Anyway, they are turning the leaves of my cocciena (badly mispelled!) deep burgundy. Is that ok? Do I need to use the 10,000K bulbs or are these ok then? Thanks.

Bobby

Nepenthes leaves turning red is perfectly fine. It's normal. The red means you are giving it ample amount of light. I would continue on your growing conditions.

Let me add to what eplants said. If the new leaves are red, its good. If the old leaves, say two or three down the vine, are turning red it could be cold damage or sun burn (too much light).
Given that temperatures are fine, and the old leaves are picking up a little "sunburn", the new leaves will be adapted to the brightness and do fine.

Trent

Some people say red leaves means that the plant has spidermites, but you'll have to check for other symptoms as well
Jason

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I think the old leaves are turning red so I guess they are sunburned a bit. The new leaves just seem to have a very very slight reddish tint; otherwise, they look healthy.

Bobby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (biggun110 @ Dec. 12 2003,09:46)]Hi,

I moved my hanging basket hybrid Neps inside for the winter and have them in a 55 gallon tank with four 40watt flourescent bulbs on top. One bulb is a Coralife 10,000 K and the other 3 are the bulbs that come in an Oceanic Triple Bulb Aquarium Strip Light. I am planning on changing them to 10,000 K's soon. The 3 bulbs are probably close in type to the old Gro-Lux bulbs. Anyway, they are turning the leaves of my cocciena (badly mispelled!) deep burgundy. Is that ok? Do I need to use the 10,000K bulbs or are these ok then? Thanks.

Bobby
I've got one that went yellow-green with red spots when I got it and it's been happy as a spotted leaved Nep for over 6th months now
smile.gif

The red is most likely from the 1000k bulb, it isn't bad for the plant, just tends to add a little extra pigment. However, I wouldn't change out the other bulbs. Something in the range of 6,500k is probobly best. Nothing but 10,000k would cause extremely compact growth.

joe

Hi All,

Thanks again. I like the red leaves and I am glad I don't necessarily need more 10,000K bulbs -- I can use them on my fish tanks! Although the idea of comact growth is tempting as these 2 Neps are weeds :)
tounge.gif

Bobby

Back