What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

um is this

(Sorry, can't spell check with old comp without crashing)

My Ventricosa finally made a second basel shoot, and that shoot is now making traps... but the baby traps have wings!  I don't remember my baby traps having wings before and my mature ones definnetly do not.  Is this really a new shoot or did I somehow (I have no clue how it would even be possible but..) get a volunteer?  I do have a newer plant of a winged species in the same tank, but not the same pot.

Hi Darcie

We don't see you in this forum that often, so welcome.
Brilliant spelling in your post, it's great to see you are making an effort.

Anyway, to answer your question; the first little pitchers that a rosette plant produces are often nothing like mature pitchers so don't take too much notice of the fact that they have wings. As the plant gets bigger the pitchers will become more like what you are used to seeing.
Unless you had a different plant in the pot you are using at some earlier time and this has suddenly started growing there isn't really anywhere a second plant could come from.

Cheers, Troy.

These are what are refered to as "juvenile pitchers". The juvenile pitchers of most species look the same, generally like what you're seeing.

Basal shoots usually grow much faster than an actual seedling since they are starting with the benefit of an enormous root system and large stem of nutrients to rely on while they get established. It will likely start to make larger and more normal lower pitchers soon.

.. another same time post!

Okay, Thanks guys
smile.gif

p.s. It's growing sooooo fast, it's up to 4 baby traps swelling at once. I had no idea how fast basel shoots can grow once they get started
smile.gif
As soon as the traps mature, I'll show you all a piccy!

Back