What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all,

Not sure what happened to the original pictures, they definitely weren't deleted, but they are there now. They may have been uploaded while I was restoring from a backup, but I'm not sure about the time. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that I didn't delete them intentionally.
smile.gif

Pat

PS: I'm on vacation, just checking in.. I won't be around probably!

Trent, yes I would say so! I think my last H. heterodoxa went down the tube because I didn't have the misting system in the greenhouse yet...so with the exahust fan running it had that 'blow torch' look to it. Now I hae the system installed on a short range cycler that keeps the greenhouse floor perpetualy wet without drenching the plants.

Pat, no biggie, just reloaded them up again.
smile.gif
Relax on your trip!

Yes, I love the plants nep g
smile.gif
. The N. bongso I got from wistuba is a lot like your ovata. My bongso has fat leaves, with a very noticable peltated tendril. The pitchers (largest 3"
biggrin.gif
) are almost the same, but more elongated I think. In time, the pitchers get even darker than your ovata's. Hmm, they look so similar, I think they should be declared the same species/subspecies.

I took some measurements today and a couple photos.

The pitchers are 16cm and the leaves are 10cm
Nham1.jpg

Just a close up of the newest pitcher on the right, which isn't fully expanded and colored up, and an older one on the left. What I found interesting is the 'teeth' are getting longer. I also did some counting and found that the teeth number was fairly uniform from pitcher to pitcher. Even on some of the much smaller older pitchers they had in the range of 41-43 teeth.
nham2.jpg

Tony

nice pics , i love the nep canibalism one , really funny .

nate, I beg to differ, N. ovata has much more darker colored leaves (at lest my clone does) and much more of a curled back peristomed with points (similar to N. truncata).

N. bongso/carunculata on the other hand has much more of black appearance overall and wavy fluted peristome vs. ovata's pointy one.

Hmm. Well thats wierd. My bongso from wistuba doesnt have a very wide peristome, and the leaves stay green. Does anybody really know the differences between bongso, carunculata, and ovata ?

Read my above statement and notice the slash between bongso and carunculata. Supposedly N. bongso and N. carunculata are synomous....taxonomists fight over this, so we leave that issue to them.

N. ovata I think is quite distinct from The N. bongso complex. Go to Malesiana's site for further reference.

You bet they are, my ovata is quite different from my bongso. They are totally 2 different species.

Gus

I see. the two are deffinately different then
smile.gif

Back