What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black growing tip

Hi
I have noticed that my N. coccinea is now producing three new basal growths. However all three have started to go black starting at the top and working their way down
sad.gif

The original stem is growing okay and showing no problems. It is growing on my bathroom windowsill where it has been for over a year quite happily. I use a mix of LFS & clay pellets for compost. Any idea why these new growths are not developing?

cheers

bill

Hey Bill,

Often when the tips turn black it's either been burned from the sun, or a problem with humidity fluctuations. I'm gonna guess it's the humidity. Have there been any sudden changes going on lately? Also check for mold, and see if the base of the basal shoot looks okay. There may be some kind of fungus just out of sight that is causing a problem.

Hello guys!

For black tips, it is sometimes related to salt build-up on the root system. If you use city water, yours might contain too many dissolved minerals for the plant's liking. Since new tissues are usually more sensitive to more ailments than the mother plant, I suspect this is the case. (Also, too mouch fertilizer on dry roots will do the same kind of damage...)

What water do you use? Let's see if I make any sense at all!!!
biggrin.gif

Joe

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
The humidity in the bathroom remains fairly constant and I have been growing this plant along with another lowland successfully for over a year now. The black development looks quite dry and not like rot I have seen on plants. And the main growing tip is unaffected. Only these three new growths sprouting.
I use distilled water.
Today I did discover a few scale insects on closer inspection. Now dealt with, but could that be the reason?

cheers

bill

Back