What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. campanulata x veitchii

Hello everyone!
I'm new to this forum, although I've been on the CP Listserve for a while.  I like what I've seen so far!  For those of you who don't know me - my name is Amori Watanabe and I'm a 19 year old with an undying affinity for plants and wildlife.

Back to the topic.  I bought a N. campanulata x veitchii plant from Cook's Carnivorous Plants (Orig. MT - Clone NE-97A) a few months ago, as a "3 inch potted".  Was I surprised when I dug through the last pieces of packaging!  I received a 9" plant, with one 2" pitcher.  Anyhow, I stuck it  into my lowland terrarium.  The pitcher that was on the plant looked like an eloganted campanulata pitcher with a less flared opening.  It was plain green and died within a few days in my conditions, but the plant seemed to boost its growth after repotting and applying fertiliser to the soil (BioGold - I'll post something on this later if anyone is interested).  New pitchers started to develop, and increased in size with each one.  As you can see in the picture below, the pitchers get much larger than straight campanulatas, and are more colourful.  The peristome seems to become a little thicker with each pitcher too, thanks to the veitchii "blood"
tounge.gif
.  Note the underside of the lid: looks alot like that of N. veitchii x lowii, don't you think?  So far, it has proved to be a true lowlad hybrid.  I need to get a camera with better macro features...  Good Growing!

N_campanulata_x_veitchii1.sized.jpg

Hi Amori, welcome to the forums.
Interesting to see what that hybrid looks like.
What conditions do you have in your lowland terrarium and what other plants do you grow?

Cheers, Troy.

Hello Amori, is that crossed with a lowland N. veitchii? Or is it more of an intermediate cross with a highland form of veitchii?

Hi Amori:

Welcome to the forums. We hope you have a great time sharing your experiences with us. That's a beautiful plant. Could you tell us more about biogold?. if that's what is making your campXveitchii look so beautiful, i'll get some too.

Gus

Hey Troy:

>What conditions do you have in your lowland terrarium and what other plants >do you grow?

My lowland terrarium is kept at a minimum of 75F with an aquarium heater in about 3" of water. The humidity is higher than I want it to be (90%-100%) but the plants aren't complaining, so I don't mess with it:) . My lighting system consists of two each of cool white and warm white fluorescent bulbs (48"). The photo period is kept at around 16 hours.
As for the Neps I grow: N. campanulata, N. merrilliana, N. northiana, N. bicalcarata, N. campanulata x veitchii, N. rafflesiana, and N. gracilis all grow in the lowland setup. I have an unheated terrarium which contains all the odd bits and pieces of stuff that isn't picky: N. ventricosa (2), N. sanguinea, and N. wrigleyana (3).
My highland/ultrahighland setup houses my favourite and more precious collection: N. khasiana (still in shock and growing slower than villosa), N. burbidgeae, N. diatas, N. villosa, N. inermis, N. lowii, N. ephippiata, and N. hamata. Hopefully I will be getting a N. macrophylla from Tony when he gets better (from the flu). Plants that have gotten too big to keep in my room are my N. rajah (has always been an easy grower for me), N. truncata and N. maxima, which live happily at the Frederik Meijer Botanical Gardens & Sculpture Park, where I help Steve LaWarre with the CP collection.

Hey Nepenthes Gracilis:

>is that crossed with a lowland N. veitchii? Or is it more of an >intermediate cross with a highland form of veitchii?

I'm not exactly sure, but I have a strong feeling it was crossed with a lowland veitchii. The plant suffered quite a bit when I put it in the unheated "odd bits and pieces" terrarium. I think only MT or possibly Mr. Ch'ien Lee could fill us in on the parentage. Either way, it's a nice (and rapid) little plant to grow
laugh.gif
!

Thanks for visiting and good growing!

Amori

Back