Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. glabrata x tentaculata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

about three years ag I got a plant labeled N. glabrata from J. Nerz. After some time it got obvious this plant wasn't a pure N. glabrata but of course I assume that the mother plant in fact was N. glabrata. Although the hairs on the pitcher lid have disappeared I still believe it is a cross with N. tentaculata. The shape of the peristome and the pitcher shape resembles N. tentaculata.

This pitcher is around 8cm in height.

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim:
    Your guess is as good as mine!. Maybe it is not a pure glabrata, well, then the plant is a hybrid, but how sure you are that it is mixed with tentaculata?, could it be mixed with hamata instead?. After all hamata and tentaculata resemble a lot. We certainly can't predict how much of the phenotype is inherited from each parent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beutiful plant! I have no idea about the identity though as I am rather ignorant when it comes to neps![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Phill Mann has a pic of this hybrid on his site. I have seen prior pics of yours before, and I don't remember how you ID'd it, but I was struck how the peristome slants and the base and speckling. it kind of looked like a cross with N. gymnamphora. Just posting a thought while looking att his lovely pitcher of yours.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

well of course this plant might also be a hybrid with N. hamata or even another species. A cross with N. gymanmphora is less likely because I believe it is grown from a seed collected in Sulawesi where N. gymnamphora isn't growing AFAIK. I always thought N. tentaculata is much more wiedespread than N. hamata and because the hybrid N. glabrata x tentaculata I've heared of so far I did guess it is a cross with N. tentaculata - which might be wrong of course. Here is another picture of the peristome where some features can be seen better.

Joe, how did you know this plant is sitting next to my N. gymnamphora which I had to remove to take the photos?

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't, lol.
    If the plant came from wild-collected seed, than you are probably correct. Also, the peristome is definitely thick looking on your N. gymnamphora, and not like what I was thinking. That is a remarkable peristome on that gymnamphora, BTW.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that one looks alot like the one used to draw my avatar
    I love nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Joachim. I agree the pitcher strongly resembles N. tentaculata lower pitcher shape. Particularly in the oval shaped and noticably slanted peristome. Here is a picture of the spotted form from Central Sulawesi
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast