Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tiny white critters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upon close insepection of my plants today I noticed some very small white or yellowish white things which wander all surfaces of the plant. They don't seem to sit stationary for too long. I have used clear tape to nab most of them and now I've just misted the two plants down with Shultz brand houseplant & garden Insect Spray which is formulated with 0.02% Pyrethins from Chrysanthemum flowers. The label states that it can be used on edible vegetable plants and orchids so I figured it would be safe enough to mist wait a few minutes and then washoff with pure R/O. I realize it's not systemic and I'll have to retreat in a few days if any eggs might hatch but any idea what these bugs might be? I can barely see them with a naked eye. They may be the size of this period: . Even with a magnifying glass I can not tell their body shape nor count their legs. They are not scale like I've seen on my uncles palm trees, nor are there any tiny webs which is said to indicate spidermites and they don't fly. I believe they likely arrived on some new orchids I got by mail about a month ago one of which was sitting between these two plants.

Also, I bought some new fungicide spray to work on any sooty black fungus that pops up (it happens in winter) made with 0.09% neem oil. Since there is no copper in it is it then safe for use on neps?

Thanks for any thoughts! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It kind of sounds like thrips.

http://ipmofalaska.homestead.com/files/thrip.jpg

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joe but no, I did a google search on all the the easy things, it's not thrips, spidermites (from what I can tell), it doesn't look like aphids, nor whitefly nymphs/larve whatever. Thankfully there has been no damage and there are not too many to speak of but I definately wanna stop anything that could happen before it does!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they jump at all?
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they wander, you might try dunking the plant, pot and all for a brief period. If they are not leeched onto the plant, they should come free and drown. Obviously you have to let the water drain well afterwards.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't jump at all, just walk constantly. They don't seem to sit in one spot. Anytime I see these little things they're on the move. Are they perhaps some sort of dead leaf consumers?

(It's off topic, but that's one awesome avatar you've got Nick!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that note, will someone remind the computer illiterate(me) how you do the avatar stuff(or where to read it?)

Thanks,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's an area in your personal profile page, then you just set up an URL image link just like posting a photo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast