What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*twitch* *twitch*  Still waiting for membership card to come.  Want to see plants now...  Soooooo *looks around* you're going to save us some plants in the gift shop right?
biggrin.gif
 I always buy new plants when you have them in, but it's so hard to get their in time for the good ones.  (I live about 20 minutes away)

...Any chance of a fanged monkey pot picture? Or is it being icky and not making traps right now? It's my favoret.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve L @ Jan. 08 2004,08:28)]Nice job Amori!

I have to let you all know that Amori has been volunteering with the FMG CP collection for about a year and a half. He is awsome! Amori truly has the addiction. And he helps make these plants look great. I trust very few people with the care of the collection and Amori's help is fantastic.

Nice Job Buddy.

Steve LaWarre
When you do take applications for that sort of work? I would love to help with the plants
smile.gif
After all, that is the collection that started mine *grin*

there is a fanged monkey pot picture. thats my favorite too.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I hope that helps, I’m sure Amori will have some more to add.

Steve, you forgot to mention what you told me today...  Remember that some of these plants i.e. the N. bicalcarata became that huge because it has near unlimited root space.  Most display plants don't grow in a pot, so they just SPREAD.  Steve explained to me that one of the smaller bicalcs we have is older than the Big One.  It's growing in a 14" basket, in the Nep mix explained above.  Also, the soil moisture fluctuates all the time, so is more suited to highland Neppies.  

As for the production house Neps, most of them receive BioGold (organic fert.).  Here is a list of plants that have done well, which we thought might not:  N. rajah, N. hamata, N. villosa (in my collection), N. ephippiata, N. macrophylla, N. campanulata, N. merilliana, N. lowii, N. jacquelineae, N. inermis, N. diatas, and many many more.  So far, no plants have suffered.  I'm still trying to figure out whether giving it to N. northiana is reasonable...

Good Growing everyone, and thanks again for the wonderful comments!!

Amori

Wow. With that kind of TLC, no wonder the neps are doing so well!

The very best plants in my own collection came from the FMG
smile.gif
They do a great job with their plants and I never need to worry about shipping stress. Incedently, both my N. ventricosa and N. sanguiena (1 year and 4 months I've had them respectivly) now have two growing points each and the N. ventricosa has increased it's size by a factor of 6x with every leaf haveing or have had a trap! I wish I could take credit for the successes with them, but I think it has a lot to do with the care they got before I got them since I didn't have to rehab them or mix my own soil.
smile.gif
Anyhow, I would bet you guys had a hand in the little guys care so thank's a million... actually my first FVT came from you too, but that was before the collection had it's room remodled and it was actually cultivated from little pot of horrors. It's doing well to btw ;)

It is wonderful to see these plants as they should look, instead of squinting into my terrarium and imagining them growing like this! Thanks for this great presentation. Now I'm going to go burn my plants. (Relax Dustin, I'm joking).

WOW! Now if only I could get the NYBG to get a collection like that....

Those are superb!

Steve and Amori,
Thanks for cultural notes.
Amori, There's no doubt the majority of Neps benefit from fertilizer but we have also avoided using any fertilizer on N. northiana after hearing horror stories from other growers.
Thanks again.

Trent

I wish I could vist Frederik Meijer Gardens, but alas I am in western KY and hours away from anything really fun or CP related.
sad.gif

All of those plants are for sale at Fredricks Meijers in Grand Rapids. Even though I am getting out or cps for a while I would still drive down there to purchase all of those neps.:D

Back