Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guppies??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I wasn't exactly offended but i was horrified when i read about the salamander and the part when i said to the herp killers WAS NOT directed at you. It was to the people who has pleasure in stomping, suffocating, throwing herps and other terrible things in that nature. Which i believe is not you since you avoid the frogs on you lawn which makes me very happy to hear. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Hi,

I just can't get the image out of my mind of SnowyFalcon doing the "scared/freaked/surprised dance. Heheheehe

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like frogs, salamanders, newts, etc. but its not too bad if they get eaten by a cp. I used to see some frogs around here but not for a while. We have crayfish around, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am constantly amused by various growers always looking for some miracle food that will make their plants grow like giant pumpkins or something.

There are not tricks to growing great plants. The key is observation. Adjusting growing conditions to always strive for healthier plants. This means primarily Light, Moisture, Temperature, and regular feeding. You don't need to go to some exotic far off land looking for some miracle product you can simply give to your plants and they will suddenly become a forest of CP's (btw there is no such product so you can stop searching) Nepenthes don't care if it's milk, carnation instant breakfast, crickets from a can or fish steaks. As long as it is sufficient to feed the plant without killing the pitcher and is done regularly the results will be the same.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I did feed guppies to my N.bical and N. ventricosa. Last summer I bought some guppies to live in my rain barrels. I put four guppies in each 55 gallon barrel. Next thing I knew I had hundreds of guppies. So I took some out and put them in a hugh sink I had. Some of those died. One of the guppies was pretty big, so I put it in my biggest N.bical pitcher. I put two medium sized guppies in two smaller pitchers of the bical. I had two tiny guppies so I put them in my N. ventricosa pitchers. The next day one of the bical pitchers started turning brown. Within a week all the pitchers with guppies was turning brown. After the pitchers have completely died I cut them off and I looked in side for the fish and there was no sign of the fish at all, even the bones were gone.
    After thinking about it for a while, whatever killed the guppies may have killed the pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a leach in a big sanguinea pitcher once. The next morning the liquid in the pitcher was the color of weak coffee and the leach was mush. We have a native Michigan tree frog that reproduces in the greenhouses, Hylea versicolor I think. Anyway, I noticed a very foul smell coming from the huge truncata in the corner of the CP house and found a frog in one of those big pitchers. Nothing was left but hanging skin and bones. We also feed the plants quite a few big roaches and they seem to love it.

Steve LaWarre
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Steve L
    "I'm Lucky enough to get paid to do this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roaches do go down well....most insects are good targets(except the really big ones that can crawl out) I have also feed my plant large scorpions and even a dead hawk moth once.......my picthers have tons of little exoskeletons in their bases....I also heave used 1/4 strength 20-20-20 fertilizer....tried milk but wasnt so sure it did much for the plant...it just had a mildly unplesant odor.....

And it it true...there is no magic food....conditions are everything....give a neph lots of light and the required humidity with the ocassional feeding and they grow like weeds.....well...mine do [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the replys guys [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I just found the topic interesting and wondered if people on this side of the world had tried it as well. Plus I'll soon have way too many guppies and need to find something to do with them... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast