Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guess what this is...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, if I recall right, that picture in the CPN was of a young plant or young ground shoot. Rob's picture looks to me like a full grown, mature plant. You know how peristomes "embellish" themselves as a Nep gets up in size and strength...
    I'm sticking with N. petiolata. My second guess would be a red form of burkei.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rob,

Does it have wicked long tendrils? Like a plant potted in a basket is hanging 4' above the floor and all the pitchers are resting on the ground?
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Tony!

Capslock [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

You could be right. I found that pic on Phill's site and it was a small plant, maybe a little more advanced than the ones Tony has.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A giant form of N. alata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking through some transcripts on talks (on the ICPS website) I think Trent is spot on. Will there be a additional photos of that "amazingly hairy, and blood-red Nepenthes.."?

Mr. Paroubek, wasn't the only specimen of N. redplant.jpg lost in the Bermuda Triangle in 1934?

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Well done Trent, as Christer says, "spot on". N. petiolata it sure is! I don't know if this species has been grown to this size before. I believe Danser only had a single leaf and pitcher to describe it from, so the inflorescence is not properly recorded (I have some habitat photos of seed heads only).

There will be whoops of joy from here when it flowers! N. petiolata is a very interesting species in that like N. truncata, it's difficult to associate it with any other species in the Philippines. The pitchers have a very unusual texture and blood-red coloration and even the tendrils are hairy.

You mentioned N. burkei, I'll post some photos of that species soon and you'll see the differences are marked. For one thing N. burkei isn't hairy but you probably couldn't see the velvety fuzz covering the N. petiolata pitcher and tendril in the photo.

Here's another photo. Please ignore the miserable tousled old guy on the left, that photo was taken before I had my first coffee of the day [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

BTW, sorry if this posting ignores any other correct guesses but I'm having to write it off line and upload a bit later
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice as usual. It will be interesting to see how the seedlings develop as they get older. They are fairly uniform but there is deffinately some differences in coloration with some having more of a green background color ranging all the way to pinkish red. Some of it is perhaps the less than ideal light we have had this past growing season. Anyway.. here is a picture of a couple 3" plants with 1" pitchers.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast