What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

n. ampullaria

Hi,

first of all, this isn't about basal shoots. I read in the nep. university that n. ampullaria makes runners that end in offshoots. Is this true? Also, do you need a big pot to get these? Thanks

The bigger the pot, the more pitchers it will make for you and the better it will look. Although I wouldn't run out and buy a ten gallon pot or anything that extreme, 8" to 12" should work for a long time for an Amp.

joe

If you want a pot full of pitchers then let the main stem go they say. Of course others say prune it back. I cannot clarify any of this because I've had no success with either method. I belive the plant makes a bunch of basal pitchers when the time is right myself.

Do you think peat and perlite + the original mix would work for repotting?

Should be fine. N. ampullaria is very tolerant of peat based mixes. I have recieved equally good results in peat/charcoal and just plain sphagnum.

ok, thanks. Right now its in a 3 inch plastic pot. I'll transplant it tomorrow.

Ampullaria will produce large vines that rarely produce upper pitchers. When a large amp starts to vine, it will form multiple basal rosettes. These basal rosettes will continue to form and they can eventually cover the whole area around the base of the plant.

I have a large amp in that has produced vines the size of my finger. This plant has recently been cut back and is now producing a rosette on almost every node that was left behind when the vine was cut.

This is a photo of the base of the plant, you can see the basal pitchers starting to stack up on top of eachother.

amp9_17_02.JPG

This is a photo of the largest amp vine right before it flowered. Evan at this stage, you can see by the very plump round buds that this plant is a male.

ampfl9_17_02.JPG

I have never been able to procuce upper pitchers, even on an ampullaria vine this large.

If you have an amp that is starting to form more then one growth point, I would recommend up potting it to an 8" inch pot, keep it warm and keep it humid. Ampullaria is one of the species that does best for me in pure LF sphagnum.

Hope that helps! good luck.

Steve LaWarre
Grand Rapids, MI

Just read your last post. I would NOT go from 3" to 8". I didn't realize that your plant was still pretty small. I would go with a 6.5" pot. That should hold you for a year or two.

Steve

Ok, I have a pot around that size. Anyway, back to the original question. I know that n. ampullaria makes basal rosettes, but does it make offshoots on runners, actual new plants, and if so, does it need a big pot? (for the runner)

Transplanted! Do you think it will go into shock long?

When I repot my plants I leave the rootball completely intact. I just turn the old pot upside, take the whole thing out, put it in the larger pot and fill in with new medium. I haven't had a Nep go into transplant shock yet.

joe

I have had plants produce shoots from deeply buried stem. These poke up on the soil surface just about anywhere in the pot. If you unpot and have a look, they look like a runner as they have rudimentary leaves and are elongated between the barely visible nodes. I suspect this is what your referring too and how this idea of underground runners came about.

Tony

actually, I'm talking about actual runners, not basal shoots connected underground to the main stem with no root system. (with their own roots and everything, ulike other neps) Check the nepenthes university under species cultivation- n. ampullaria. I transplanted it my trying to get the whole chunk of soil and the plant in one piece out of the pot and got a lot of the soil.

cp jungle n. ampullaria page

I know what you're talking about but I'm not sure I've ever seen that happened except in species such as N. glabrata. Tony has a good example of how it looks.

Back