Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fungus Gnats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungus gnats are not so benign in my opinion. They can easily eat the root hairs which is the most important part of the root for moisture and nutrient uptake. This also opens a pathway for potential disease organisms to enter the root.. which can cause further root decay.. producing more decaying organic matter for the larvae to feed on.

The Bt stuff is virtually harmless to use and highly effective. I highly recommend it. Just be sure to buy it fresh in small batches in a quantity sufficient for several applications. It's effectiveness declines over time so best to use fresh stuff when it's needed.

Tony

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I get the Bicalc, Trashcan, I am definitely doing some bug treatment! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm not worried about it, I'm just glad to know of possible pests ahead of time. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, I plan to do a thorough cleansing before mailing, and including a note to everyone who gets any plants from my lowland terrarium. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

FWIW, I discovered this after offering the plants for trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. To me, it does not affect the value of the plant one iota.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungus gnats, your day has come. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks to homer for helping me find the shop to get this plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good 'ol d.capensis always does the trick as well, I have gone so far as to "borrow" my capensis from another windowsill if the gnats are getting out of hand somewhere else (usually near my vfts)
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought fungi gnats sort of went with the concept of CPs. I mean, how can you NOT have them when they fly into your house and take up residence in your convinyent pot. Heck, I had larvea for a while and couldn't figure out what the heck was in my pots till someone here told me. Guess what, last saturday, I saw my very first adult (excluding those that Grim had captured when I first brought it home)! Yup, 3 of them. I guess they like the new fountain in the terrarium and didn't evacuate the terrarium like they must normally do.

...BTW, nice P. morenesis reminds me of Grim before if went all funny.... *sniff*... *lip quiver*.... *SOB! why is it so mad at me! I don't understand whats wronge, why won't it get better!*.... sorry, I miss it looking nice, and am affraid it will die at any moment.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Jan. 18 2004,14:28)]Fungus gnats are not so benign in my opinion. They can easily eat the root hairs which is the most important part of the root for moisture and nutrient uptake. This also opens a pathway for potential disease organisms to enter the root.. which can cause further root decay.. producing more decaying organic matter for the larvae to feed on.

The Bt stuff is virtually harmless to use and highly effective. I highly recommend it. Just be sure to buy it fresh in small batches in a quantity sufficient for several applications. It's effectiveness declines over time so best to use fresh stuff when it's needed.

Tony

Tony
    Of course freshness counts, it's a liveing organism! LOL. Bacteria are our freinds.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast