Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem with N. sibuyanensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, the conditions are as said. The terrarium the N. sibuyanensis is grown in is pretty much sealed off (proper air circulation is provided through 2 CPU fans). I also think the temperature might be a bit too high, but the *true* highlanders which are grown in the same terrarium don't seem to mind and grow/pitcher at considerable rates.

I'll move the plant to another position in the terrarium. Maybe more intense light will help...another option would be to move it to my Heliamphora grow chamber in the basement...the average temperature there is around 50 to 60.

@swords: besides the lack of (healthy) pitchers, is your plant growing well? There are no signs of abnormal growth on my N. sibuyanensis...it's just the pitchers - actually the leaves are growing pretty fast...
    Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it is "otherwise healthy", having no experience with N. sibuyanensis before or knowing any local plant people with one that I can compare it to. Mine is not in shade but pretty much right under 400W of metal halide lighting. But if all other conditions are good and it still doesn't pitcher than there can only be temperatures to blame if the plant is not suffering from a disease. Eventually, life in warm temps will weaken and kill a highland plant so I want to correct this asap (next paycheck the construction supplies will be bought). I'm pretty confident that my plant will grow much faster and pitcher freely once I can relocate it to the highland chamber.

BTW: What are those other highlanders that you grow in these temps? How big are the plants diameter wise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my highlanders are still pretty small...

Nepenthes (diameter - cm / currently largest pitcher - cm)

singalana (13 / 5)
    inermis (14 / 4)
    hamata (10 / 4)
    ephippiata (6 / 2)
    macrophylla (16 / 6)
    macfarlanei (10 / 5)

Sure, I could move at least some of them to my small Heliamphora grow chamber in the basement, but since all of them (except the N. sibuyanensis...) grow very well, I don't see a reason yet to do so..."never change a winning team" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

What highlanders do you grow?
    Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nepenthes02 @ Jan. 22 2004,03:54)]Sure [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] Here we go:

Humidity: 85-100%
    Day temperature: around 80 F
    Night temperature: around 70 F
    Potting media: peat moss, charcoal, perlite, shredded cork.

The conditions mentioned above are pretty stable though the average temperature can change quite a bit during the summertime.

My plants are grown under very bright lights though the N. sibuyanensis is located in a shadier position.
    Toooooooo wet! Wet good, waterloged is um well rotten(yes I know it is corney).
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plants are all in my collection plus others in my cool highland chamber. See:My Neps for my whole collection. These species are are true highlanders and will eventually weaken and die if they are not supplied with cooler temperatures than 70*F at night. On average my highland chamber is 50*F at night but from Dec til March it will be 40*Fs but all the highland plants grow well (better than in mid-late summer when the nights are about 5-10*F warmer at night). I think you will see a very nice increase in growth rates and larger sturdier pitchers if you allow them much cooler nights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another clue. I just spoke with the highland nursery mananager and she told me that the plants in the older (darker) nursery that weren't pitchering so well before are now pitchering much better. The difference is that the monsoon changed in December and we now many more hours of sunshine - hence light is certainly a factor for us here.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmh, I just moved the N. sibuyanensis to my Heliamphora grow chamber in the basement. Let's see what'll happen...

The day time temperatures there are around 65 F, the night time temperature usually drop as low as 45 F.
    Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have today moved a few things and found a way to fit my N. sibuyanensis into the highland chamber. Hopefully I will see something interesting from this plant soon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast