Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem with N. sibuyanensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Dear all,

I've got some weird problems with my N. sibuyanensis: somehow its tendrils turn pitch black and rot away when the pitchers are about 5mm tall. I really don't why since the overall growth of the plant is everything but abnormal and it seems to be happy with the provided conditions.

Anybody had this problem before? The plant hasn't produced one dang pitcher since I got it about 6 months ago (besides those which rot away before their time has come)...

Thanks in advance!
    Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you share some information on the conditions it is in? What kind of humidity, day and night temperatures, and potting media And how consistent are the conditions? This information will help others diagnose your problem more easily.

Pat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] Here we go:

Humidity: 85-100%
    Day temperature: around 80 F
    Night temperature: around 70 F
    Potting media: peat moss, charcoal, perlite, shredded cork.

The conditions mentioned above are pretty stable though the average temperature can change quite a bit during the summertime.

My plants are grown under very bright lights though the N. sibuyanensis is located in a shadier position.
    Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best guess would be the night time temperatures may not be cool enough. But, I have been told that N. sibuyanensis will grow well as an intermediate, so I could be wrong. Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable will come along soon.

Good luck,
    Pat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't be the night temperatures since I grow some highlanders in the same terrarium and all of them seem to like it just fine (or at least they got used to my conditions...). But what do I know?

Thanks anyway,

Stefan
    Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

When you say "other highlanders" which ones you are referring to? Ventricosa for example is not a true highlander, it is more like an intermediate. A true highlander: " muluensis" , "rajah", Lowii etc.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have an N. sibuyanensis in similar conditions to yours and am experiencing similar problems.

I have too many highland plants in my highland chamber so the N. sibuyanensis had to be put somewhere until I build my larger sized true highlander tank. Temps in my highland tank are 70-80*F days and 40-50*F nights year round. I will be moving the N. sibuyanensis into this environment when the bigger chamber is built as it seems to be languishing in the "intermediate" chamber.

After six months (I think I've only had mine about that long too-I got it in August 2003) it's pretty obvious to me that my N. sibuyanensis does not like it's current situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In haste - I think Pat is right - rather too hot, but I would wonder more about the humidity at 85-100% which is abnormally high water content in the air for that species at those reatively high temperatures. Condensation will probably occur at times. N. sibuyanensis pitchers latently, about 3 or 4 leaves down the vine usually but if the conditions are correct then you can eventually get lots of pitchers. I'll be back in the highland nursery next week and was planning on graphing the temp and humidity in our new nursery which is producing great pitchers on plants that have given problems before. I'll let you know the results.

I've just edited this post with an afterthought... light. N. sibuyanensis grows right out in the open at altitude. Whilst our plants in the 'old' highland nursery were not having problems with pitchers rotting away as you describe, we are getting more pitchers in the new nursery which has lower humidity and far more light.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast