What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wings on N. ventricosa?

In "Savage Garden" the N. ventricosa is described as having no "wings." The Nepenthes I got in the mail from PFT.com has these wings. I ordered a N. ventricosa and I think I got a N. raffelsiana instead. Can anyone confirm or deny that N. ventricosa has or has not any wings?

Well when the pitchers are young (about 1-2 cm tall) they somewhat form wings but when they are adult, they have no wings.

Here's a picture of one of my Ventricosa:
N_Vpitcher5.JPG

and if you DID get a n. rafflesiana, and theres no problem as far as $$ goes, raffs are cool plants. They have nice "teeth" and cool spots, and don't they get almost as big as n. rajah?
try posting a pic or describing its other features so it can be identified.

Here is a pic of the nep I recieved. http://members.aol.com/bouncer67/neptrap.  I also learned an important lesson regarding shipping.  The postman WILL leave a package labeled "perishable" on the front porch in 15 degree weather without knocking on the door.  My new nep has some frost damage but I think it will survive.

Droseradude--Too bad I don't have the room for the N. rafflesiana, I only have a 20 gallon tank and it is shared with a VFT and D. capensis. It IS really cool, though.

Yeah, that is a N. Ventricosa, you got there. It might not look like it for now but give it some time. The pitcher structure does not look like N. Raffelsiana.

Curse mailman, who can't read.
mad.gif

15 degrees is cold? HA that's a heat wave here! It's -20 out right now and it's hard to breathe in outside. My greenhouse heater has been putting in some big overtime. And just to think...I've recieved tropical Utricularia and Nepenthes seed last week!

My mom grew up 70 miles to the east of you in Tupper Lake.  I have spent some REALLLLY cold Christmases up there.

Thanks to all.  I need all the help I can get with the neps.

Back