What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes not pitchering

Hello i have a few nepps that only seemed to pitcher when they were outside for the summer after they came in they kept there pitchers on for a while but recently they turned brown . All of my neps grow pretty fast but on the leaves there is just those undeveloped pitchers on it. I would like to get them pitchering all year because they really arnt supposed to go dormant. I seem to mist them like 10 times a day with a spray bottle.the only pitchering one is my ventricosa which after getting sick i moved it into a small terrarium and it started pitchering. the varities are

N.sanguniea
N.Khasiana x mirabilis
N. mirabilis thailand
N.alata (just got so it didnt adapt yet)
n.truncata( didnt adapt also just got it)

If you're moving them around, which I am understanding from your passage, then the reason is a whole new climate is presented to the plant and it needs to re-adapt. If you want to retain pitchers year round, you need a stable environment in which the plants are adapted to. The reason your pitchers dried up was most likely due to low humidity. You may see pitchers before spring and the plants go back outside to grow.

My suggestion: Build a winter enclosure for them.

Cheers!
smile.gif

Thanks for your help i was thinking of building them or buying one of those tall grow houses and have a humidifier in it and have it like a nepenthes grow house exept for the fact that i mostly have highlands exept for 2 lowlands a truncata and alata. But i could work around it i mist them as often as i can but it doesnt seem enough i would pprobably have to have them in an enclosed grow house.

If you want to look into one, I am backing you all the way. If you have only two lowlands perhaps build a small lowland chamber to house them and place it in a warm area of your house for the winter. The larger highland chamber could be placed near a cool/drafty window to compensate for the nightime temperatures.

Back