What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sanguinea - a photo album

Dear All,

Here are my collection of N. sanguinea. Pitchers size varys from 10cm to 20cm. A couple of months back 3 plants from Genting Highlands flowered - 1 male and two females. In one of the photos you will see seeds amongst the upper pitchers.

Plants from Cameron Highlands tend to be more spotty. While the Genting Highland varieties show dotty and "sanguine" colour on top.

Lower pitcher, Genting Highlands (GH) showing a very red lid
sangGH01.jpg

LP, GH with a very red peristome
sangGH02.jpg

Intermediate and upper pitchers (GH)
3sang.jpg

Green upper pitcher (GH) amongst staghord fern. Note the new form seeds
sangUP.jpg

Another upper pitcher (GH)
sangGHup01.jpg

More lower pitchers (GH)
sangGH03.jpg

Spotted variety from Cameron Highlands (CH)
sangCH01.jpg

Elongated variety from Cameron Highland
sangCH02.jpg

Another long from pitcher (CH)
sangCH02a.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics

Choong

simply fantastic!
smile.gif

Are those varients, locations or greenhouses that the names come from? Mine look like type 2

Wow! That's a lot of Sanguineas! Where did you get them all?

SF

Thanks for the very fine photos!!/ Tomas

Darcie, they are the locations: Genting Highlands (GH) and Cameron Highlands (CH).
wink.gif

Nice pics!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

One male and two females flowered? That's great! I take it one male flower makes plenty of pollen for two females?
I am glad you clarified some of the location data with color forms. It used to be hard to get anything but the green spotted form here in the states.

Regards,

Joe

I love that Cameron Highland N. sanguinea! Reminds me of the Clone E from Exotica Plants.

Nice collection of N. Sanguinea.

Gorgeous plants ands there absolutely huge , very nice
smile.gif

So, are those the only two locations that they are found in? Should I add the location to the lable of mine that looks like yours or is appearance unreliable for knowing where it came from origenally?

Darcie, if it's unconfirmed, I don't suggest you add anything, because this is what creates confusion and dilution to the meaning of the location names. Just my eight quarters of pennies...
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Lenny, yes you are correct. Do not add anything that you do not know for 100% sure to a plants status. If I bought a tissue cultured N. gracilis and it was a green form, and I suddenly decided to label it N. gracilis "Sarawak green" or something like that, then you are adding false information to the plant. It's almost as bad as mislabeling. Bottom line is keep track of WHERE you bought the plant, and if it came with locational data then keep it. And add information if you can back it up 100%.

No Darcie, there are many other places you can find N. sanguinea. Besides Cameron and Genting Highlands, there are also Fraser's Hill and Bukit Tinggi (close to Genting Highland).

For most Malaysian, N. sanguinea is the only pitcher plant they will ever encountered as they can be found along the road embankments along the main road up Cameron Highlands. Although now it is harder to find unless one is prepared to go off the beaten tracks or jungle trails.

Choong

Hi Choong,
your sangs are absolutely beautiful! You had mentioned before something about searching the lower elevations for seed and or good-looking forms of N. sanguinea. Any progress on that front?

Trent

That is absolutely fantasticly awsome photo and plant! Sweet that is the kind of nep that I got at Fredrick Mejier Gardens on Sat. I hope it can fit in a ten gallon tank after 4 years...
tounge.gif
wink.gif
lol

Travis

Ah Choong, your pictures almost make me wish I was a Malaysian (that and Singapore's national service)!

Absolutely beautiful specimens, I'm hoping my Cameron Highlands plant turns out to be either a sanguinea or a ramispina (most likely a sanguinea)...

Thanks for sharing!

Well Colin, I certainly hope they let you go home regularly during your national service. Few months is a very long time to have someone looking after your plants. Have you found a plant hotel yet?

Choong

Since when was my name Lenny?
rock.gif
Just asking...
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Back