What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess ...

trashcan

O:-)
Hello,

Can anyone guess what the parentage of this Nepenthes hybrid?

P1010021.sized.jpg

Small hint: It is a hybrid of only two species.
Big hint: Tony is disqualified from guessing.
wink.gif

Pat

My guess is spathulata x spectabilis

I will go with spectabilis x veitchii(the peristome looks like veitchii).

Regards,

Joe

veitchii x lowii ?

I'm with Joe on this one. N. spectabilis x veitchii.

Capslock

I'm gonna go with N. veitchii x lowii

N. fusca x veitchii (striped)?

Well....I saw this one at the greenhouse guess I am disqualified from guessing too.
smile.gif

Great guesses everyone!

Sorry to sort of "trick" you. The picture is of a newly opened pitcher. The peristome will not remain flared like that for more than a few days, it will then curl around and look more typical. After that it will look probably like the last one :

P1010094.sized.jpg

So great guesses by everyone who participated! The winner (no prize, sorry) is BobZ, who correctly guessed spathulata x spectabilis.

See ya,
Pat

OK, one more, if anyone is interested. This one is not a hybrid. Should be pretty easy. I will wait 24 hours this time before announcing (if anyone guesses).

P1010028.sized.jpg

EDIT: This one also just opened, but it won't be changing as much as the last one.

The peristome sure looks like a N. rafflesiana, but it's not quite a perfect match...
rock.gif
I want to say a N. bicalcarata due to the top of the pitcher's shape and coloration, but it's missing the teeth.

I'm going with N. rafflesiana.

SF

I'm not very good at these, but I'll shoot for N. Sibuyanensis.
Peter

Rubra,

I think you're right, after looking at some pictures of N. sibuyanensis. Very astute guess!

SF

I wish I guessed first, I never get to prove I know these! It's sibuyanensis for sure! Nice picture!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

bah that was too easy.
laugh.gif

Pat, nice macro shot! Is that your old camera or your new one?

Nep G,

It's the new one. I would have liked to get closer, but the lid was in the way because it had just opened. Maybe one of those spikes could be my new avatar?

And yes, everyone, great job. It is sibuyanensis, the developing pitcher was shown in my last picture thread. Good work
smile.gif

edit: left out a word

What Olympus model is that again? Thanks
smile.gif

I have an Olympus C-740. I would recommend you get the nearly identical (but higher megapixel and a few other goodies) C-750 if money isn't too much of an issue. I wish I could have gotten that one, in fact.

Back