Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you my mother?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maturing takes place in the meristem of the plant. IE the growth point. Typically if you cut the top off a Nepenthes that is producing upper pitchers (ie mature) then it will continue to do so. It is possible to have a mature Nepenthes only 6 inches tall and producing a flowerstalk if the tip was recently removed and rooted.. So to be correct in which do you call the original plant. You call the original, the one that was the first shoot from the seed, since this will be the chronologically oldest meristem. In your example I don't think it matters which you call your first plant as they are both your first plant since you are referring to a time the plant was obtained in relation to other plants in your care. Even though one is a recently rooted cutting it is still in your posession longest.

Dormant lateral buds usually contain the same genetic age stamp as the apical meristem when they were formed. IE the lower down the plant the younger the dormant meristem 'thinks' it is.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the helpful info, Tony. Along different lines, Barry Rice mentioned to me the whole DNA aspect of it:
    "As for your multiple "copies" of your first plant, yes, it is interesting to think about. You have multiple clones, that share the exact same DNA. Botanists refer to these separate individuals descending from the same clone as ramets."

Since it is usually the seeds or meristem used in tissue culture... would that mean that a plant TC'ed from a meristem would start growing at the same level of maturity as the meristem?

Graci'
    -Trevor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nepenthe @ Feb. 10 2004,13:51)]... would that mean that a plant TC'ed from a meristem would start growing at the same level of maturity as the meristem?

Graci'
    -Trevor
    I don't believe this is the case. The meristem is lost once it goes into forming a mass of undifferentiated callus tissue. Plants produced from this tissue once placed on nonproliferation media are essentially like plants produced from seed.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12