Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need an explenation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... well I just use these "plant bulbs" until they burn out and replace them with what ever white light is cheapest.

I thought I might have to acclimate the plants to the light.

Hey swords I don't have the ability to hang the fixture its a canopey mounted type.

Hwever would this work? When I need to acclimate a coral I just bought to my 1000+watts of lighting in my reef I take some eggcrate (flourescent light grid) and some black fiberglass screening (the kind for a door) and I layer the screening over the eggcrate so it blocks out a different amounts of light depending on how many layers of screening I have they slowly over the course of weeks I remove layers of screening until the coral is in the full blast of light.

Would this method of light acclimation work for the plants too?

-Jess
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to sure if this applies to Cps, but in the aquarium hobby, it is often stated that bulbs gradually lose intensity over time, and should be replaced at around 6 months to a year.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you may slowly acclimate them to the new light. This is how you're supposed to do it but honestly, I never do. I just take the new plant and put it right in with rest in as bright a position as possible. The leaves will redden (not brown dry burning) and begin to look "terrible" and the pitchers which were on the plant when it arrived usually die off rather quickly. Sounds bad but this is actually quite alright (so long as your humidity is high) because this means the plants are responding to the light and only the old "useless" leaves are being harmed, not the new growth which will be healthier and stiffer not soft and floppy. The new pitchers will show how they like the light when they begin to form on the new growth as well sometimes you can get the pitchers as big or bigger than the leaf they're growing on!

Yes, you should change your fluorescent tubes every 6-8 months (I just write the month on one of the tubes and when I change them I change them all at once). Power compacts/compact fluorescents can go longer and metal halides a year or so. I just replaced my 400W metal halide (ouch! -$) but I'm looking forward to the new pitchers as all my plants in that chamber began making smaller and smaller pitchers over the last few months and nothing else environmentally has changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info, I was wondering why some of the leaves were truning red. I was not sure if this was bad or good but the plant didn't seem to change, only in color. Strange thing is though the leaves that turned a red color look pretty good they don't looks terrible at all. Should they be starting to wither after they redden? they've been this color for about two months. Yet the new leaves it shooting out are a nice bright green color. So far the plants that came with pitchers still have them but I just recently got these plants, I've had them for only about 3 1/2 weeks.

I really appeciate your guys info its been very helpful.
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I didn't know you only had your plants for such a short time. Have you ahd them for two months or 3 1/2 weeks I'm not really clear on that...
    Your conditions may be just fine if they are changing color after recent arrival. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months (just think of each leaf as a month) before your new plants settle in and begin to pitcher freely. SO if I were you I'd just leave things be for now if you're getting pigmentation. I guess I was under the impression you had your plants for quite a while and they'd never made pitchers.

The leaves that change color will generally (but not always) die off sooner than the new leaves made after they have acclimated to the light if they don't die off sooner then it's not a problem. I was just warning you of possible demise of the pigmented leaves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12