What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'd like to grow more Neps and am looking for some distictly different from what I have.  But I want some that I have a reasonable chance at growing, even if they only pitcher in the summer.  I have a N. khasiana, N. maxima, N. sanguinea, N. ventricosa, and N. x Ventrata.  Growing conditions here are far from ideal for Neps, being way too cool and dry for lowlanders and being warmer in the summer and drier in the winter than ideal for highlanders too.

After a bit of research, four prospects I've identified are N. burbidgeae, N. inermis, N. pilosa, and N. ramispina.  Has anyone had success with these outside of ideal highland conditions?  I worry most about low or fluctuating humidity in the winter and hot days in the summer.  I'm also interested in other species people have succeeded with in similar situations.

I grew a number of intermediate and highland plants in on an East windowsill for a long while. Your correct that in Winter the low humidity will stop more pitcher production. During the rest of the year when the heating system isn't on it should be ok provided you don't have AC sucking the moisture out as well.

N. burbidgeae yes
N. inermis Don't know but wouldn't recommend it
N. pilosa wouldn't recommend
N. ramispina probably will grow but pitcher very poorly even in Summer (very thin pitchers with not alot of substance)

Other recommendations:
N. maxima
N. fusca
N. truncata
N. spectabilis
N. spathulata
N. reinwardtiana

Lots of different hybrids too that would do well.

Tony

Hi Tony, Hey Bruce -

I have a cross between 4 plants on Tony's "Other Recommendations" list and it's doing really well outside of a terrarium under lights. It's a N. ( spath x spect ) x ( max x fusc ) from ICPS seed. It currently has 8 inch pitchers on it. Another that has just flourished outside of the terrarium is N. khasiana x ventricosa. I also tried an extra N. ampullaria out of the terrarium since I'm pressed for room - it's very scraggly with no pitchers. I plan on donating it to The University of Connecticut. I know Matt will take good care of it. His plants are just amazing.

Bruce - You should post a pic of your Nep tree!

FYI, we may have a NECPS meeting at UCONN this year, and we are also arranging for a presentation by Tamlin at a future NECPS meeting too. We'd love to see you there.

WildBill

Thanks for the suggestions.

The tree had been an orchid tree then, last summer, it became an orchid + 1 Nep tree.  The other four Neps were too new to go there until the end of the season, but all 5 Neps will be ready this summer.  Since I expect to cut back on orchids and boost the number of Neps even more, this year it'll qualify as a Nep tree.  For those who don't know what Bill and I are talking about; it's a less than 10 ft tall quince tree in my front yard that I use for hanging orchids each summer.  Last year it had almost 70 in it.  I planted the tree years ago so I can make quince jelly, but I think it's become even more important as a support structure.

Back