What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. mira with problem

Hi,

I received a new shipment of plants yesterday. N. mira is one of them. All the thin leaves have this wrinkled up look. It has been kept in shade.

Does it like its media to be dry or wet? Like sun or shade. Please advise.

Choong

Hi Choong,

N.mira appears to be a typical highlander in my care so far. It's sending up a flower stalk as a matter of fact right now. If you just got it in I would keep it in mild conditions, lower than normal light levels, high humidity, moist media and mild temperatures perhaps intermediate. If you prefer, I could grab a photo of my plant.

Good luck!

Dustin

Dustin,

I think I would be cool to see your plant in flower, maybe when it opens up.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, here's my plant as of today. You can see the flower stalk coming up on it showing itself near the center in the pic as a white colored cluster atop a short stalk.

mira.sized.jpg

Wow, what a lovely semectrical plant you have
smile.gif
I wish my neps would be semetrical.

Dustin,

Nice pitcher/leaf ratio to boot. Excellent job!

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks to you both.

Joe, finally it's adapted to the greenhouse from 10/11/03 till now so it's taken 5 months and 6 days to acclimate and start to inflate it's second pitcher, of course it's flowering too which may contribute to slow growth and the winter season is still here. But I have got 4 leafes out of it in that time period.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Feb. 15 2004,21:06)]Thanks to you both.

Joe, finally it's adapted to the greenhouse from 10/11/03 till now so it's taken 5 months and 6 days to acclimate and start to inflate it's second pitcher, of course it's flowering too which may contribute to slow growth and the winter season is still here. But I have got 4 leafes out of it in that time period.
That's not too bad for an adjusting plant.

Dustin,
Are you the one that got the special plant that Tony was offering a while back?
blues.gif
I wanted that one, but I feared I would run out of room quite quickly... NICE PLANT!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Darcie, yeah it is pretty typical and the time has gone by quite quickly as I have so many other Nepenthes to look at.
smile.gif

L man, uh..no. I bought this one it's a German clone. As for room...Tony has an enormous N. mira I am very excited to own this species. I belive his has like a 2 foot leaf span with like 4 inch diameter 6 inch tall pitchers, or bigger last I saw it that was around the measurment.

Ok, just curious because of the size. Was that the 6 inch order form plant already that big? WOW! VERY NICE!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Whoa! My N. mira is going to get that big??? I better make some more room. Mine also just opened its first pitcher, which is pretty small. I'm happy with its growth so far, however. There are a couple more pitchers on the way. I'd guess my leaves are 2 inches at best right now, and the pitcher is about 3/4 inch.

Aw, what the heck, I'll take a quick pic, even though it's not that impressive. Incidentally, I got this on Ebay a few months ago for a very good price:

N.%20mira.JPG

Capslock

L, man what are you trying to say? I don't own that plant, it's TONY'S.
wink.gif

Capslock, just for reference....

mira2.sized.jpg

t7.sized.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have a photo of the whole plant.

I just got confused, because a few months ago, he was selling a 14" N. mira for a large sum, and I just guessed that that was the one... Sorry for any confusion.
rock.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Hi,

N. mira is one of the few very difficult plants for me. - In fact I only killed one Nepenthes last year, a N. mira which died after repotting. From my experience N. mira requires very high humidity to grow well and does best in pure LFS. The soil shouldn't be kept to wet.

Cheers Joachim

P.S.: Very nice plant Dustin!!

Joachim, Thank you firstly
smile.gif
. Secondly, you say it requires high humidity perhaps this is true when it is smaller or did you have a larger plant? My humidity is in the 55% and higher range all the time generally i's pretty decent but the highest it usually gets is around 80% but the mean is around 60% and even 70% if I'm lucky.

Hi Dustin,

my plant was about three years old but still quite small (~7cm diameter). I discussed N. mira with Christian and as far as I remember our discussion he also thought N. mira needs very high humidity to grow well. Maybe there are other factors wrong with my setup which cause the problems with N. mira!?

Cheers Joachim

N. mira does need alot of moisture. It is also particularly tempermental about repotting. It is one of the species I have to watch very carefully when I import as they often shrivel up badly very quickly. This species is one that has a lot of leaf mass with thin wide leaves that dessicate quickly.

Dustins plant was well established and with sufficient watering would be able to take more fluctuation.

Tony

Ah, I see now. Mine isn't particularly too wet. It's just like other plant...then again it usually always has a thin layer of water from the nearby mist head on it's leafes. And some sphagnum moss is starting to grow on the soil surface that I introduced also indication adequate overhead moisture perhaps?

Mine's just in with the rest of my highland/intermediate neps. I water with the rest of them, but I did repot it into a higher percentage lfs mix. I don't mist, but the air around here is pretty humid; I'd say maybe a touch more so than Dustin's. I got lucky, I guess, as it didn't slow down after I got it, and seems happy.

The greener leaves in my picture above have all grown here in the last three months (roughly). The damaged redder leaves are what are left from the shipped plant.

Capslock

Back